1. Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    223
    15 Mar '04 20:57
    A man was on a treck across Asia. Along the way he was caught by robbers. Thay ordered them to make a statement about himself. If he told a trouth he would be hanged, but if he told a lie they would shoot him. After a few min. of thought he uttered something that confussed the robbers so much that they let him go. What did he say? If you can't getit messege me.
  2. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Joined
    25 Oct '02
    Moves
    20443
    16 Mar '04 07:43
    Originally posted by DumDum81
    A man was on a treck across Asia. Along the way he was caught by robbers. Thay ordered them to make a statement about himself. If he told a trouth he would be hanged, but if he told a lie they would shoot him. After a few min. of thought he uttered something that confussed the robbers so much that they let him go. What did he say? If you can't getit messege me.
    "What i am saying now isn't true"
  3. central usa
    Joined
    22 Jul '03
    Moves
    20133
    16 Mar '04 22:573 edits
    Originally posted by DumDum81
    A man was on a trek across Asia. Along the way he was caught by robbers. Thay ordered him to make a statement about himself. If he told a truth he would be hanged, but if he told a lie they would shoot him. After he spoke, they let him go. What did he say? If you can't get it messege me.
    he says, "i will be killed by bullets [or by being shot]".
    the robbers are thus faced with a paradox:
    if they take his statement as true, then they hang him and the statement has been rendered false. if they take the statement as a lie, then they shoot him, making the statement true!
    the robbers thus have no choice but to release the wily trekker.
  4. Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    223
    18 Mar '04 20:30
    You got the answer BarefootChessPlayer! (they could have hung him to half dead though)🙄
  5. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Joined
    25 Oct '02
    Moves
    20443
    21 Mar '04 14:25
    What about my answer? It is a statement about what he's saying, and thus about himself. Also, the robbers can't determine whether the statement is true or false, since that statement is a paradox.
  6. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    25837
    23 Mar '04 13:522 edits
    Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
    he says, "[b]i will be killed by bullets [or by being shot]".
    the robbers are thus faced with a paradox:
    if they take his statement as true, then they hang him and the statement has been rendered false. if they ta ...[text shortened]...
    the robbers thus have no choice but to release the wily trekker.[/b]
    Clearly sensible bandits would then balance the man on a chair - set up the noose round his neck, and then shoot at the chair legs until it collapsed. It's somewhat safer for him to state "I won't be killed by hanging".
  7. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    25837
    23 Mar '04 17:051 edit
    Originally posted by DumDum81
    A man was on a treck across Asia. Along the way he was caught by robbers. Thay ordered them to make a statement about himself. If he told a trouth he would be hanged, but if he told a lie they would shoot him. After a few min. of thoug ...[text shortened]... ey let him go. What did he say? If you can't getit messege me.
    Or he could say - "My sister's name is Joanne". Seeing as the robbers would have no way of verifyiing / disproving this statement they would again have to let him go. Or would they? Most robbers would decide the man had either lied or told the truth and would hang him AND shoot him - since they never stated they wouldn't do both.
  8. Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    223
    23 Mar '04 20:30
    They would take his word for it
  9. central usa
    Joined
    22 Jul '03
    Moves
    20133
    24 Mar '04 01:41
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Clearly sensible bandits would then balance the man on a chair - set up the noose round his neck, and then shoot at the chair legs until it collapsed. It's somewhat safer for him to state "I won't be killed by hanging".
    i like that!
    frankly, if i found myself in such a predicament, i'd be unlikely to come up with a suitable statement.
    here is a slightly different concept:
    in logic, a statement is any assertion that is either true or false.
    what is the shortest english assertion that is not a statement?
    (imperative sentences such as "go" and vague answers to specific questions such as 'i am[ not]", "i do[ not]", and "i will[ not]" are not assertions.)
  10. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    25837
    24 Mar '04 16:11
    Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
    i like that!
    frankly, if i found myself in such a predicament, i'd be unlikely to come up with a suitable statement.
    here is a slightly different concept:
    in logic, a statement is any assertion that is either true or false.
    what is the shortest english assertion that is not a statement?
    (imperative sentences such as "go" and ...[text shortened]... ific questions such as 'i am[ not]", "i do[ not]", and "i will[ not]" are not assertions.)
    Hmm, I don't really know what qualifies as a statement but I'll have a go anyway...

    "This isn't a statement"?
  11. central usa
    Joined
    22 Jul '03
    Moves
    20133
    24 Mar '04 20:54
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Hmm, I don't really know what qualifies as a statement but I'll have a go anyway...
    "This isn't a statement"?
    i would classify that as a false assertion and therefore a statement.
    in order for an assertion not to be a statement, it would have to be both true and false simultaneously, be neither (which is usually not an assertion at all), or be a paradox whose truth or falsity is indeterminate.
  12. I'm in Checkmate
    Joined
    11 Mar '04
    Moves
    842
    24 Mar '04 21:35
    In communication a statement is considered false if it contains a paradox, for example:

    the sentence below is false
    the sentence above is true.

    would be false as it is a paradox.
  13. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    25837
    24 Mar '04 21:58
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Hmm, I don't really know what qualifies as a statement but I'll have a go anyway...

    "This isn't a statement"?
    Ok - you're right, obviously false that one 🙂

    how about:
    "This sentence is false."?
  14. central usa
    Joined
    22 Jul '03
    Moves
    20133
    24 Mar '04 23:49
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Ok - you're right, obviously false that one 🙂

    how about:
    "This sentence is false."?
    right idea, but there is one that is shorter!
    i hope everyone understands why "this sentence is false" is not a statement (by the definition given previously)!
  15. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    25837
    24 Mar '04 23:51
    Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
    right idea, but there is one that is shorter!
    i hope everyone understands why "this sentence is false" is not a statement (by the definition given previously)!
    "I am lying"?
Back to Top