1. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 13:07
    If you wrote down the names of the numbers in order, ONE, TWO, THREE, etc., the first letter that appears is O, then N, E, T, etc. The letter A does not appear until ONE THOUSAND. What would be the last letter to appear in the list?

Andrew
  2. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 13:37
    Originally posted by latex bishop
    If you wrote down the names of the numbers in order, ONE, TWO, THREE, etc., the first letter that appears is O, then N, E, T, etc. The letter A does not appear until ONE THOUSAND. What would be the last letter to appear in the list?

Andrew
    My bet is on 'c' for 'centillion - a one followed by 300 zero's, if that exists at all.

I can't find any for 'd', 'j', 'k', nor would I be able to "count" up to a 'zillion' to use the 'z'. But you could have started counting from 'zero'!

ps. how do you say 101 in english? Isn't that 'one hundred and one', producing the first 'a' instead of in 'thousand'?

3. Joined
    12 Apr '03
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 14:06
    Originally posted by latex bishop

Andrew
    What number do you go up to?
  4. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 14:07
    Originally posted by waldorf
    What number do you go up to?
    I do not know the answer myself 🙂

But I am sure some bright spark here can work it out

Andrew
  5. Standard memberorkyboy
    Looooney Ork
    A galaxy far away
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 14:33
    Originally posted by Mephisto2

I can't find any for 'd', 'j', 'k', nor would I be able to "count" up to a 'zillion' to use the 'z'. But you could have started counting from 'zero'

a zillion isnt a real number it was made up to represent a large number. ( i read this in a book ) 😀
  6. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 14:56
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    My bet is on 'c' for 'centillion - a one followed by 300 zero's, if that exists at all.

I can't find any for 'd', 'j', 'k', nor would I be able to "count" up to a 'zillion' to use the 'z'. But you could have started counting from 'zero'!

ps. how do you say 101 in english? Isn't that 'one hundred and one', producing the first 'a' instead of in 'thousand'?

isn't a google large (1 followed by a million zero's), which would be the first "G"?
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 15:27
    Originally posted by genius
    isn't a google large (1 followed by a million zero's), which would be the first "G"?
    Perhaps you should read the question again. 'google' ends with 'e', so if the list ended with 'google', the last letter on the list would be an 'e'.

I'm not sure if the question is saying implicitly that the list ends at 'one thousand', if so, then the last letter is 'd'. If the list doesn't end, then it goes on to infinity, so I'd guess the last letter would be 'y'. 😵
  8. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Perhaps you should read the question again. 'google' ends with 'e', so if the list ended with 'google', the last letter on the list would be an 'e'.

I'm not sure if the question is saying implicitly that the list ends at 'one th ...[text shortened]... s on to infinity, so I'd guess the last letter would be 'y'. 😵
    I would agree with infinity, that is the only answer it can be

Andrew
  9. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 15:44

I'm not sure if the question is saying implicitly that the list ends at 'one thousand', if so, then the last letter is 'd'. If the list doesn't end, then it goes on to infinity, so I'd guess the last letter would be 'y'. 😵
    what about "googleplex" for x?
  10. Joined
    12 Apr '03
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 17:02
    Originally posted by genius
    what about "googleplex" for x?
    what about "googleplex plus three"?
  11. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 18:41

Erm..the number 10^100 is spelled "googol".
  12. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    14 Apr '03 23:25

I read the question as asking which letter would appear for the first time later than any other letter, in which case it isn't "g", which appears in "eight", nor "y", which appears in "twenty".
  13. Joined
    15 Apr '03
    Moves
    15 Apr '03 09:28
    Doesn't A appear first in one hundred And one ?
  14. Joined
    15 Apr '03
    Moves
    15 Apr '03 09:58
    the answer is C

octillion (both English and USA)

according to

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/large.html

(No J, K or Zs)
  15. Joined
    12 Apr '03
    Moves
    15 Apr '03 12:37
    That's what I thought

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree