1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 05:331 edit
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    ^hiding behind the king is a loss,

qxa1, Kf6, qe1, Kf5
    after Kf5 then Qd1 and if the king (black) gets any closer then the white king steps up right next to the black and once the white king is taken the queen goes right next the black king also and then black loses
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 05:59
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    after Kf5 then Qd1 and if the king (black) gets any closer then the white king steps up right next to the black and once the white king is taken the queen goes right next the black king also and then black loses
    Not quite. Black plays Kg4! at the end of your line and wins. [Kf3 Kxf3 Qxf3]
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 09:23
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Not quite. Black plays Kg4! at the end of your line and wins. [Kf3 Kxf3 Qxf3]
    if Kg4 then Qa1
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 18:43
    if Kg4 then Qa1
    Kf3. Busted!
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 00:102 edits
    Kf3. Busted!
    shoot! I wasn't even thinking of that...I will find something different then.

this just goes to show that I don't play suicide chess.😛

Edit: I think I got it! the answer is to stay on the long diagonal if the king tries to get on that diagonal you can move to a square that where he can't put himself in the line of fire(a8, h1, a1, h8) you will have to leave the long diagonals sometimes but you can always get back on the trick is to try to work your king to the center so he controls the only squares that are next to "both" diagonals.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 05:16

Edit: I think I got it! the answer is to stay on the long diagonal if the king tries to get on that diagonal you can move to a square that where he can't put himself in the line of fire(a8, h1, a1, h8) you will have ...[text shortened]... your king to the center so he controls the only squares that are next to "both" diagonals.
    Why do anything that complicated? Just leave the Q on h1 and Black cannot win.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 07:44
    Why do anything that complicated? Just leave the Q on h1 and Black cannot win.
    and put the king on g2?
  8. not quite sure.help!
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 15:48
    more fun to just take the king if its white to move.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 19:45
    Originally posted by tournymangr
    more fun to just take the king if its white to move.
    yeah and then white ends up losing.
  10. Joined
    29 Nov '07
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 00:12

Edit: I think I got it! the answer is to stay on the long diagonal if the king tries to get on that diagonal you can move to a square that where he can't put himself in the line of fire(a8, h1, a1, h8) you will have ...[text shortened]... your king to the center so he controls the only squares that are next to "both" diagonals.
    Yes, now that you have found the trivial solution to your problem, it's time to look at its flaws:

1.the key is terrible (two capture choices and one is obviously instant death).

2.the bBh1 exists only to die (more economical and subtle means could be used to entice wQ to such a square).

3.there is no theme (it just dies after the uninteresting key, unless a completely unforced blunder occurs, like that Qd1 idea).

This is intended to be constructive.

Next time, start from an end position, hopefully with some theme in mind, and try to retract moves, using the least amount of force necessary (minimize the use of checks, captures, and threats).

I suggest you avoid studies (stipulations like win/draw), and first concentrate on problems which can be tested (e.g., helpmate in 3 moves, or mate in 2, etc).

Start with some simple theme (e.g., switchback or underpromotion), and just focus on keeping everything economical and subtle.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 00:19
    Originally posted by sdrawkcab
    Yes, now that you have found the trivial solution to your problem, it's time to look at its flaws:

1.the key is terrible (two capture choices and one is obviously instant death).

2.the bBh1 exists only to die (more economical and subtle means could be used to entice wQ to such a square).

3.there is no theme (it just dies after the uninteresting ke ...[text shortened]... .g., switchback or underpromotion), and just focus on keeping everything economical and subtle.
    how do you get a checkmate in suicide chess?
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 00:59
    and put the king on g2?
    Hell no. Put the K as far from the Q as possible; say, on a1. Easy draw for White.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 01:00
    Originally posted by sdrawkcab
    Yes, now that you have found the trivial solution to your problem,
    It's actually doodinthemood's problem, but yeah, it's pretty trivial. Perhaps it can be remade, focusing on the 2.Qd1?? line, in which Black won with careful K steps for zugzwang.
  14. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 17:10
    To sdrawkcab, I'm sorry my attempt upset you so much.

I've made hundreds of puzzles, mostly joke or selfmate puzzles (I've posted something like 10 of them on here if you want to see the others), and this was my first attempt at a suicide puzzle, that went wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree