1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 19:562 edits
    I am going to ask a set of 30 conceptual questions. They will get harder and harder. If anyone can get all 30, they are a true MASTER! Some of these questions are true stumpers.

Let's kick it off with the basics: Dimensional Analysis.

#1. The height of a horse is sometimes given in the units of "hands." Why is this a poor standard of length?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 20:47
    Originally posted by Ramned
    I am going to ask a set of 30 conceptual questions. They will get harder and harder. If anyone can get all 30, they are a true MASTER! Some of these questions are true stumpers.

[b]#1. The height of a horse is sometimes given in the units of "hands." Why is this a poor standard of length?
    [/b]
    Sometimes? In UK a horse's height is measured in hands.

1 hand = 4 inches.

The inch being defined as 1/12 of a yard.

The yard being defined as EXACTLY 0.9144 metres (since 1956)

I cannot see any problem! (And why physics?)

PS Cant wait for next 29 ..................
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 20:551 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Sometimes? In UK a horse's height is measured in hands.

1 hand = 4 inches.

The inch being defined as 1/12 of a yard.

The yard being defined as EXACTLY 0.9144 metres (since 1956)

I cannot see any problem! (And why physics?)

PS Cant wait for next 29 ..................
    :'(

No...I'll explain if people continue to miss this, which I really plead won't happen. You're thinking way too deep. This is only a fundamental of physics: the idea of precision.

Next guess?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 21:09
    :'(

No...I'll explain if people continue to miss this, which I really plead won't happen. You're thinking way too deep. This is only a fundamental of physics: the idea of precision.

Next guess?
    1. I am not a deep thinker! 🙄

2. What IS the question? 😕

3. It was NOT a guess! 😠
  5. Joined
    22 Dec '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 21:12

[b]#1. The height of a horse is sometimes given in the units of "hands." Why is this a poor standard of length?
    [/b]
    Dimensionally speaking the standard unit for length is the meter, so perhaps Ramned is meaning that the "hand" is based in imperial units (4 inches), so it is awkward to use in standard (SI) units. However, this is not really a fundamental problem.

I suspect that the reason "hands" are not a very appropiate unit of measure is to do with the resolution of the hand system. Usually the height of a horse is measured to the nearest whole hand (i think?), which means it could be as inacurate as +/- 2 inchs. This is a fundamental problem with the resolution of the hand scale and will be a source of a significant error if precise height measurements are required.
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 23:54
    Originally posted by MattP
    Dimensionally speaking the standard unit for length is the meter, so perhaps Ramned is meaning that the "hand" is based in imperial units (4 inches), so it is awkward to use in standard (SI) units. However, this is not really a fundamental problem.

I suspect that the reason "hands" are not a very appropiate unit of measure is to do with the resolution of th ...[text shortened]... ale and will be a source of a significant error if precise height measurements are required.
    You are correct. Hands vary in size = not precise as, say, a meter. The length of a hand varies from person to person, so it isn't a useful standard of length.

QUESTION 2 FOLLOWS.
  7. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 23:55
    Motion (One dimension)

2. If a car is traveling eastward, can its acceleration be westward? Explain.
  8. Joined
    25 Mar '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 02:31
    Motion (One dimension)

[b]2. If a car is traveling eastward, can its acceleration be westward? Explain.
    [/b]
    Yes... slowing down gives an acceleration backwards which of course is westward.
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 04:13
    next, #3?
  10. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 11:46
    Originally posted by XZantoth
    Yes... slowing down gives an acceleration backwards which of course is westward.
    Yes.
  11. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 11:513 edits
    A harder one on motion...this is still basic though.

Two Dimensional Motion

3. A wrench is dropped from the top of a 10-m mast on a sailing ship while the ship is traveling in a straight line at 20 knots. Where will the wrench hit the deck?
  12. Dublin
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 11:54
    Assuming no wind, at the bottom of the mast.
  13. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 11:55
    A harder one on motion...this is still basic though.

Two Dimensional Motion

[b]3. A wrench is dropped from the top of a 10-m mast on a sailing ship while the ship is traveling in a straight line at 20 knots. Where will the wrench hit the deck?
    [/b]
    Near the bottom of the mast. Because at the beginning of the motion it already has a speed of 20 knots in the horizontal direction.
  14. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 11:56
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Near the bottom of the mast. Because at the beginning of the motion it already has a speed of 20 knots in the horizontal direction.
    Perfect.
    Next question to follow....
  15. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 12:001 edit
    Motion continuing...hope they're not too hard for ya yet 😉

Laws of Motion

4. A large crate is placed on the bed of a truck. (A) As the truck accelerates forward, the crate remains at rest relative to it...what force causes the crate to accelerate forward? (B) If the driver slams on the brakes, what could happen to it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree