Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. 05 Sep '07 19:36
    i was wondering, what the average game lenght is, lets say on GM level above 2400 elo and tourney games. i think draws often happen shortly after move 40 (time control). in win games one side resigns around move 30-40. of course many games are longer as well (probably more games above 40 moves than below 30 moves). whats the average? anyone ever investigated on that?
  2. 06 Sep '07 02:51
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    i was wondering, what the average game lenght is, lets say on GM level above 2400 elo and tourney games. i think draws often happen shortly after move 40 (time control). in win games one side resigns around move 30-40. of course many games are longer as well (probably more games above 40 moves than below 30 moves). whats the average? anyone ever investigated on that?
    I read somewhere its 40, but thats a long time ago so I dont know if that still stands
  3. 06 Sep '07 14:33
    My game database gives it as 47, then when I added on a rating filter, 36. Why the sudden drop? Resignations.
  4. 07 Sep '07 12:04
    Yeah could be. GMs probably resign at a more early point than the average player.
    I checked my own league game database (my rating was 0-1800 during those years). 105 games with an average of 42 moves per game. For the 21 drawn games among them, the average is 47 moves.