1. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    12 Sep '05 17:581 edit
    I just scratched my question. But here's another: anyone know any backgammon strategy? I've heard it can get fairly intricate at high levels of play.
  2. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '05 19:36
    I've seen some statistics, that show the win ratio is between 40-60% in average, so a big part of the game is just luck. However there are some strategies too, which aren't easy to demonstrate here. I think you will realize most of them automatically if you play alot.

For example its always good to block fields that are 6 away from the opponent, because this is usually limiting his moving possibilites (and also his speed) alot, sometimes even forcing him to a bad move.
    Two examples for that: If you start with 6-1 roll, you can block the field that is 6 away from his 2 pieces at the starting field. The other example is, if you have double 3, you can block that same square yourself, with your 2 pieces at the starting field.
  3. Australia
    Moves
    19 Sep '05 04:18
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I just scratched my question. But here's another: anyone know any backgammon strategy? I've heard it can get fairly intricate at high levels of play.
    1. Always try to move safely ie never have a counter on its own.
    2. If you cant move safely then work out which piece is less like to get caught ie move to a place where your opponents nearest counter is 11 places away rather then 7 places (7 shake is more common). You will get use to working this out.
    3. Also is you leave counters on their own make sure they are one closest to the start then if you get caught you have only lost a few places.
    4. In the end zone try to spread your counters across all 6 places, this does 2 things, firstly it makes it harder for you opponent to get out once caught. Secondly a spread allows you to get counters off the board quick.
    5. Avoid having lots of counters on place 6 in the end game.
    6. If you catch an opponents counter remember that some of your counters may again become catchable.
    7. Play by probability
    8. If it looks like all is lost then hold some counters back to try and catch your opponent.

They should help for a start.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree