1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 21:15
    Originally posted by katia08
    lots of drill holes? ha ha.... just wanted to look at it from a non-scientific angle.😀
    Think you are correct. Filled with 10kgs worth of drilled holes.
  2. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 01:04
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Please tell us what the answer is -I think we give up.
    Sorry for the delay in replying mate,As I was slightly inebriated at the time I'd forgotten all about posting the question in the 1st place
    I'm afraid it was a bit of a trick question, the answer WAS simply holes,nothing remotely as scientific as some of the solutions posted. Apologies again people 😳😉
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '08 07:10
    "A freestanding 25kgs barrell is filled with something that immediately makes it weigh just 15 kgs."

What does "immediately" mean here?

If it has the mass of 25 kg, then it "immediately" lose 10 kg of mass, just by filling the barrel with holes. Doesn't sounds like "immediately" to me...
  4. Small Town Manitoba
    Moves
    04 Jan '09 07:57
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "A freestanding 25kgs barrell is filled with something that [b]immediately makes it weigh just 15 kgs."

If it has the mass of 25 kg, then it "immediately" lose 10 kg of mass, just by filling the barrel with holes. Doesn't sounds like "immediately" to me...[/b]
    he didn't say "the filling" was immediate, he said "once filled the weight reduction was immediate"

GV
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '09 08:41
    Originally posted by Nighthawk62
    he didn't say "the filling" was immediate, he said "once filled the weight reduction was immediate"

GV
    I interprete the 'immediate' word as it goes imediately from 25 kg to 15 kg.

If I fill a barrel with sand with a mass initially of 15 kg to be 25 kg, then it doesn't 'immediately' gain an extra mass of 10 kg, does it? It does so gradually as the sand is pouring in. If I persist that the mass gain was 'immediate', then the filling of new mass would be instantly.

If the hole drilling in the barrel in the original problem was instantly, then 'immediately' is used correctly. Else 'immediately' word is used in a uncorrectly way.
  6. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 13:14
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Please tell us what the answer is -I think we give up.
    Holes?
  7. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 02:09
    I interprete the 'immediate' word as it goes imediately from 25 kg to 15 kg.

If I fill a barrel with sand with a mass initially of 15 kg to be 25 kg, then it doesn't 'immediately' gain an extra mass of 10 kg, does it? It does so gradually as the sand is pouring in. If I persist that the mass gain was 'immediate', then the filling of new mass would be i ...[text shortened]... immediately' is used correctly. Else 'immediately' word is used in a uncorrectly way.
    There are billions of lives out there,d'you want to go & get yourself one?
    We're in the midst of a worldwide recession & you're being pedantic over my mis-use of the word immediately.I was originally going to ask you to get a grip, but I fear that you're already overstepping the mark in that regard. If you persist with such self degradation,I trust you do realise that you'll eventually go blind?
  8. Joined
    23 May '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '09 14:58
    Originally posted by glandmaster flash
    There are billions of lives out there,d'you want to go & get yourself one?
    We're in the midst of a worldwide recession & you're being pedantic over my mis-use of the word immediately.I was originally going to ask you to get a grip, but I fear that you're already overstepping the mark in that regard. If you persist with such self degradation,I trust you do realise that you'll eventually go blind?
    Calm it kermit
  9. Richmond Hill
    Moves
    09 May '09 15:37
    Else 'immediately' word is used in a uncorrectly way.
    As if we needed any more proof that you didn't major in English.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 May '09 20:28
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Helium might reduce the barrel weight, but not its mass. The barrel must have been filled with some kind of agressive chemical that partly eats away the barrel.
    He said "weighs".
  11. Shanghai
    Moves
    14 May '09 08:59
    So can we make the barrell lighter by putting anything in it that blasts it into space? Like LSD or something
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 May '09 07:47
    "A freestanding 25kgs barrell is filled with something that [b]immediately makes it weigh just 15 kgs."

If it has the mass of 25 kg, then it "immediately" lose 10 kg of mass, just by filling the barrel with holes. Doesn't sounds like "immediately" to me...[/b]
    This question is a play on improper use of English. The barrel cannot be "filled" with holes.

@Fabian:

Drill the holes at the exact same time?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree