1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 Sep '03 00:27
    Originally posted by Fiathahel
    Even when the loch ness monster would come out of his hiding and completely shred your boat the water level would not be any different!

Whose boat ?

😵
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Sep '03 05:12
    I took a dog bowl full of water and put my bowling ball in it. Now I have water on the floor.

Phla-
  3. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    01 Sep '03 05:34
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I took a dog bowl full of water and put my bowling ball in it. Now I have water on the floor.

Phla-
    Well, at least we can be certain your bowling ball is denser than water. 🙄
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '03 06:44
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Nothing at all. 😵
    If the lake is salty and the bowling ball is made of fresh water ice floating in it, and melts, then I'm not convinced that nothing happens to the level of the lake...
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 Sep '03 11:252 edits
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    If the lake is salty and the bowling ball is made of fresh water ice floating in it, and melts, then I'm not convinced that nothing happens to the level of the lake...
    Ho ho yo iamatiger, trying to confuse the issue heh 😵

Same thing happens when you take a bucket full of water with you in the boat. You throw the water overboard. Now the water level of the lake is the same before and after throwing the water overboard. But of course the water level of the lake rises in comparison with the situation before you rowed the boat onto the lake. 😵 😉

6. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '03 16:54
    Ho ho yo iamatiger, trying to confuse the issue heh 😵

Same thing happens when you take a bucket full of water with you in the boat. You throw the water overboard. Now the water level of the lake is the same before and after throwing the water overboard. But of course the water level of the lake rises in comparison with the situation before you rowed the boat onto the lake. 😵 😉

Ho Ivan. Still wrong I think - What do you suggest the forfeit to be for the one of us who has to eat his words?
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 Sep '03 18:12
    Ho Ivan. Still wrong I think - What do you suggest the forfeit to be for the one of us who has to eat his words?

All right iamatiger,

I've put my words on my plate. I guess now is the time for you to put yours onto your plate and then we'll see ... 😵

Anyway ... I'll take the boat and you'll get the bowling ball. 🙄

Ivanhoe Joe
  8. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '03 21:162 edits

All right iamatiger,

I've put my words on my plate. I guess now is the time for you to put yours onto your plate and then we'll see ... 😵

Anyway ... I'll take the boat and you'll get the bowling ball. 🙄

Ivanhoe Joe
    My words are ready to eat & I have some ketchup, here goes: 🙂

Salty water is denser than pure water. If a pure ice bowling ball (or a bucket of pure water in a boat) is floating then it displaces its own weight of salty water. When the bowling ball melts, or the bucket is thrown into the lake, then the pure water adds its own volume to the lake. Because of the difference in densness, its own volume is greater then the volume of salty water it displaced when it was floating - therefore the level of the lake goes up. This is why sea levels will rise if the North pole melts.😏
  9. London
    Moves
    01 Sep '03 22:46
    Back to the original question...If the bowling ball was massively heavy and super dense, and you had a great big lightweight boat, you'd be riding really low in the water. But if you chucked it out it would just sink and you'd pop back up.

I think that means that if your ball is X times denser than water, it displaces X times its volume (V) of water when it's in the boat. But as soon as you get rid of it, it can only displace V. So, your ball plummets, your boat shoots back up and the water level drops by XV-V.

I'm just trying to work out how if you, your ball and your boat altogether are denser than water, you don't just sink straight away... Does the average density have to be less than water for you all to float? No cos the shape of the boat makes a difference. Anyone??😕
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Sep '03 02:46
    My words are ready to eat & I have some ketchup, here goes: 🙂

Salty water is denser than pure water. If a pure ice bowling ball (or a bucket of pure water in a boat) is floating then it displaces its own weight of salty water. When the bowling ball melts, or the bucket is thrown into the lake, then the pure water adds its own volume to the lake. Becau ...[text shortened]... efore the level of the lake goes up. This is why sea levels will rise if the North pole melts.😏

Ho ho ho

You keep messing around with the moments in time on which the water levels of the lake are being measured.We are talking about two moments: the first moment of measuring is just BEFORE you throw the ball or whatever overboard and the second moment of measuring is just AFTER you throw the ball or whatever overboard.

About that North Pole thingy: There are no boats involved in this. Therefore this has nothing to do with our little experiment. 😉

So, start eating ....... 😏

Joe 😵

11. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    02 Sep '03 08:065 edits

Ho ho ho

You keep messing around with the moments in time on which the water levels of the lake are being measured.We are talking about two moments: the first moment of measuring is just BEFORE you throw the ball or whatever overb ...[text shortened]... little experiment. 😉

So, start eating ....... 😏

Joe 😵

The increase in level of the lake is essentially instantaneous in your own bucket of pure water example... I'm not eating them just yet! 😉

The water level goes up if anything less dense than water is thrown into the lake and somehow made to sink (eg by tying it to an anvil found on the lake bed).
  12. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    03 Sep '03 07:56
    Originally posted by jot
    Back to the original question...If the bowling ball was massively heavy and super dense, and you had a great big lightweight boat, you'd be riding really low in the water. But if you chucked it out it would just sink and you'd pop back up.

I think that means that if your ball is X times denser than water, it displaces X times its volume (V) of water when ...[text shortened]... s than water for you all to float? No cos the shape of the boat makes a difference. Anyone??😕
    The density of the boat is reduced by all the air in it to less than that of water, so it floats (even with a bowling ball in it) - the boat still has a weight though and displaces its own weight of water. 🙂
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    04 Sep '03 19:444 edits
    The increase in level of the lake is essentially instantaneous in your own bucket of pure water example... I'm not eating them just yet! 😉

The water level goes up if anything less dense than water is thrown into the lake and somehow made to sink (eg by tying it to an anvil found on the lake bed).
    Ho ho ho iamatiger,

You are impossible ... There must be something wrong with you besides that enormous anvil in your ear ... Why don't you join The Illustrious Loonies Clan. You're more than welcome ... you'll make a perfect case. 😀

Banana Power !!

Joe, proud member of the Illustrious Loonies Clan 🙄

PS : You can request membership the usual way on the Loonies clan page.
  14. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    05 Sep '03 08:291 edit
    Ho ho ho iamatiger,

You are impossible ... There must be something wrong with you besides that enormous anvil in your ear ... Why don't you join The Illustrious Loonies Clan. You're more than welcome ... you'll make a perfect case ...[text shortened]... You can request membership the usual way on the Loonies clan page.
    Sorry - Already in the freethinkers, although the loonies might be more appropriate!
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Sep '03 17:12
    Sorry - Already in the freethinkers, although the loonies might be more appropriate!

😵 😵

Joe

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree