1. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 04:44
    I take a standard bowling ball. I get into a rowboat with the bowling ball and row out into a lake. I then toss the ball overboard. What happens to the water level of the lake?
  2. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 04:48
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    I take a standard bowling ball. I get into a rowboat with the bowling ball and row out into a lake. I then toss the ball overboard. What happens to the water level of the lake?
    At which point?
  3. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 04:57
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat
    At which point?
    Oh. Yeah. After the ball falls into the water.
  4. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 04:59
    Oh. Yeah. After the ball falls into the water.
    LOL!! I would imagine that the water level stays the same since it would have changed minutely when you got on the boat. Could be wrong though...happens oftern enough. 😀
  5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:04
    Well, I'm in the boat before and after, so it shouldn't have any effect. Although if you like, I am 116 pounds and about the same density as water 😛

Or if you like assume that the ball goes into the boat, which gets shoved into the middle of the lake, then the ball rolls out.
  6. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:12
    Well, I'm in the boat before and after, so it shouldn't have any effect. Although if you like, I am 116 pounds and about the same density as water 😛

Or if you like assume that the ball goes into the boat, which gets shoved into the middle of the lake, then the ball rolls out.
    LOL!! It is the same answer. The water level wouldn't change until you got back on land. The bowling ball becomes superfluous. 😀
  7. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:14
    I meant (again...explanation is apparently not my bag 😉) that I'm not in the boat at all.
  8. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:24
    I meant (again...explanation is apparently not my bag 😉) that I'm not in the boat at all.
    Well, if we take you out of the boat all together.....whose going to row it? Just kidding....I would say that: 1) When the ball gets on the boat the water level rises; and, 2)when it falls off the boat (perhaps through third party levitation 😀) the water level stays the same. Is this also incorrect?
  9. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:36
    The first is correct. The ball is displacing its weight. But when it falls in, does the water (third party 😀) care how heavy it is, or just how big?
  10. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:38
    The first is correct. The ball is displacing its weight. But when it falls in, does the water (third party 😀) care how heavy it is, or just how big?
    It's been quite a while since I was in any kind of science class; but, it seems to me that it has to do with density, not size.
  11. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:40
    Right. And what is density...?
  12. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:49
    Right. And what is density...?
    LOL!! Oh, my brain...so much stuff to sort through...it seems that density is how much mass is actually there; as opposed to weight, which is a measure of gravitational pull on mass.....
  13. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:54
    Right. Density is the amount of mass per unit of volume (size). So the mass of the ball displaces water in the boat....but what about out of the boat? Is the ball denser than water?
  14. Hendersonville, NC
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 05:56
    Right. Density is the amount of mass per unit of volume (size). So the mass of the ball displaces water in the boat....but what about out of the boat? Is the ball denser than water?
    Just a thought, but it would seem that, being a solid, the ball by definition would have to be denser than water, which as we know is a liquid.
  15. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    30 Aug '03 06:001 edit
    Bingo. So when we talk about a ball displacing its mass worth of water (in the boat), and its volume worth (in the water), which is the bigger displacement?

That's two posts for me on the hour, 1&2 am EST. Weird 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree