Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 27 Jan '07 12:18 / 2 edits
    Here is what I think is a nice riddle, if you have never heard of it you'll have a hard time solving it I think. If you already know the riddle & answer please don't tell.

    If you crack it I'll be impressed.

    There is guy on his way to city A. He walks the road till there comes a point where the road splits.
    One road leading to city A, one road leading to city B.
    On this point there is a house with two identical twinbrothers living there. Identical except for one thing; one brother always speaks the truth, the other brother always lie.
    This guy is allowed to ask only one question to one of the brothers, but he has no idea which one of the brothers will open the door. (he does knows one always speaks the truth and the other one will always lie)
    Which question does he have to pop, to be sure he will be given the right direction to city A?
  2. 27 Jan '07 12:44 / 1 edit
    Ah, this old chestnut. I would give the answer, but I don't want to spoil it for other people, as you advise.
  3. 27 Jan '07 13:40
    Originally posted by itisi
    Ah, this old chestnut. I would give the answer, but I don't want to spoil it for other people, as you advise.
    thx
  4. 27 Jan '07 14:18
    There must be at least four threads here with this puzzle, the last one less than two months ago. So, only newcomers are candidate solvers
  5. 27 Jan '07 16:27
    Originally posted by gonnawhoopyourass
    Here is what I think is a nice riddle, if you have never heard of it you'll have a hard time solving it I think. If you already know the riddle & answer please don't tell.

    If you crack it I'll be impressed.

    There is guy on his way to city A. He walks the road till there comes a point where the road splits.
    One road leading to city A, one ro ...[text shortened]... hich question does he have to pop, to be sure he will be given the right direction to city A?
    is this it?
    lets say the left hand fork was to city a and the right hand fork to city b.
    the man could ask the folowing question to any brother answering the door...."If i asked your brother what way it was to the city A what would he answer?" The lying brother would know his brother would answer left so he would say "my brother would answer right". The truthful brother would know his brother would answer right so he would say "my brother would answer right"

    no matter what brother he meets at the door he would know that he has to go the opposite way they give in ther answer
  6. 27 Jan '07 16:42
    Originally posted by therealchessfanatic
    is this it?
    lets say the left hand fork was to city a and the right hand fork to city b.
    the man could ask the folowing question to any brother answering the door...."If i asked your brother what way it was to the city A what would he answer?" The lying brother would know his brother would answer left so he would say "my brother would answer r ...[text shortened]... eets at the door he would know that he has to go the opposite way they give in ther answer
    well, like I said........
    I'm impressed.
    Applause....