Building a bridge

Building a bridge

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
27 Oct 09

Imagine you have a supply of perfectly uniform bricks of length 1, and you'd like to build a freestanding bridge of sorts. How far could this bridge theoretically extend if it is composed of bricks placed on top of once another in a single strip?

For example, a bridge made of 3 bricks resting on the ground would look something like this from the side:

. . . . ____
. . . ____
. . ____
**************(ground)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Oct 09

it could go forever, given the proper placment.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
27 Oct 09

Originally posted by joe shmo
it could go forever, given the proper placment.
Of course, the real question is can you prove it?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Oct 09

Originally posted by PBE6
no, I cant prove it.

j
Some guy

Moves
27 Oct 09

Sure, just give me some bricks and some mortar.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
28 Oct 09

Imagine you have a supply of perfectly uniform bricks of length 1, and you'd like to build a freestanding bridge of sorts. How far could this bridge theoretically extend if it is composed of bricks placed on top of once another in a single strip?

For example, a bridge made of 3 bricks resting on the ground would look something like this from the side:

. . . . ____
. . . ____
. . ____
**************(ground)
reverse cantelever every other brick.

lay one brick down
place the next one 2/3 of an overhang.
place the next one 1/3 hanging back the opposite way
place the next one 2/3 of an overhang

etc etc

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
28 Oct 09
1 edit

an easier way would be to just build your bridge in the shape of an arch but i'm not sure if this is what you had in mind when you said one strip.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
28 Oct 09

Originally posted by uzless
reverse cantelever every other brick.

lay one brick down
place the next one 2/3 of an overhang.
place the next one 1/3 hanging back the opposite way
place the next one 2/3 of an overhang

etc etc
Nope, that only works for the first brick or the first 3 bricks. After that, it falls over.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
28 Oct 09

Originally posted by uzless
an easier way would be to just build your bridge in the shape of an arch but i'm not sure if this is what you had in mind when you said one strip.
That's a good point, actually. I should have used the word "staircase" instead of "bridge".

j
Some guy

Moves
28 Oct 09

It can grow infinitely, but, you need to counterbalance each brick with enough weight, so that no one brick tips.

So, every brick must have more weight on the overlapping part beneath it, than the part standing free (or else the obvious happens).

So, you just need to make sure that you add additional weight to compensate for all the bricks that you add to the right.

So, your "bridge" looks something like:
|
|
| |
| |
| __
|__
__
__

It's a funny looking bridge, but it can get as long (and high at the same time) as you want it to.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
28 Oct 09

Originally posted by joneschr
It can grow infinitely, but, you need to counterbalance each brick with enough weight, so that no one brick tips.

So, every brick must have more weight on the overlapping part beneath it, than the part standing free (or else the obvious happens).

So, you just need to make sure that you add additional weight to compensate for all the bricks that you ad ...[text shortened]... a funny looking bridge, but it can get as long (and high at the same time) as you want it to.
I think you're hovering around the right idea, but you don't need extra weight on the back end of the staircase to balance everything. The greatest length bridge can be achieved with one brick per level, no back-weighting.

HINT: Each subset of bricks must balance on that subset's foundation brick...try starting with the smallest subset and see what happens!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Oct 09

I think you're hovering around the right idea, but you don't need extra weight on the back end of the staircase to balance everything. The greatest length bridge can be achieved with one brick per level, no back-weighting.

HINT: Each subset of bricks must balance on that subset's foundation brick...try starting with the smallest subset and see what happens!
It might have something to do with the fact that the series

Sum(n=1,infinity)1/n is a divergent series.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
28 Oct 09

Originally posted by joe shmo
It might have something to do with the fact that the series

Sum(n=1,infinity)1/n is a divergent series.
It may indeed. 😉

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Dec 09

That's a good point, actually. I should have used the word "staircase" instead of "bridge".
of course if that butterfly that changed the weather in Brazil were to land on top....