Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 28 Apr '05 23:43
    On an entire cactus there are 300 needles. A man is riding a horse and runs into one-third of the needles. How many needles did he run into?
  2. 29 Apr '05 00:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by legoman
    On an entire cactus there are 300 needles. A man is riding a horse and runs into one-third of the needles. How many needles did he run into?
    ok I don't know why I am spending time on this but here we go. If the question is from a math exam the answer would be 300/3= 100.

    So he would run into 100 needles.

    If it's a joke. Then the answer is 0. You can state that he (the man) didn't run into any but the horse did. It would not be very smart to state such a thing because the riddle then would have two flaws
    1) The riddle self says "a man.....runs into..."
    2) If you decline flaw#1 then you'll have to admit that by the "he" in "How many needles did he run into" actually the man isn't referred at but actually the horse is. (We then also know it's a stallion)

    above is written assuming that by "one third of the needles" is ment one third of the needles of the mentioned cactus.

    Does this cover the answer to your riddle/question?
  3. 29 Apr '05 00:10
    Originally posted by Siebren
    ok I don't know why I am spending time on this but here we go. If the question is from a math exam the answer would be 300/3= 100.

    So he would run into 100 needles.

    If it's a joke. Then the answer is 0. You can state that he (the man) didn't run into any but the horse did. It would not be very smart to state such a thing because the riddle then wo ...[text shortened]... d of the needles of the mentioned cactus.

    Does this cover the answer to your riddle/question?
    It's just a stupid math question because I was bored. Obviosly it's 100.
  4. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    29 Apr '05 00:15
    Originally posted by Siebren
    ok I don't know why I am spending time on this but here we go. If the question is from a math exam the answer would be 300/3= 100.

    So he would run into 100 needles.

    If it's a joke. Then the answer is 0. You can state that he (the man) didn't run into any but the horse did. It would not be very smart to state such a thing because the riddle then wo ...[text shortened]... d of the needles of the mentioned cactus.

    Does this cover the answer to your riddle/question?
    Ah, BUT...

    it doesn't say anything about a man or a horse running into a cactus, does it?
  5. 29 Apr '05 00:17
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Ah, BUT...

    it doesn't say anything about a man or a horse running into a cactus, does it?
    sure. Could you restate that sentance? I didn't understand it.
  6. 29 Apr '05 00:21
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Ah, BUT...

    it doesn't say anything about a man or a horse running into a cactus, does it?
    are you and siebren friends?
  7. 29 Apr '05 00:31 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Ah, BUT...

    it doesn't say anything about a man or a horse running into a cactus, does it?
    That doesn't matter at all, if it wouldn't be a stupid mathquestion (no offense) but a joke.

    Then it would be wrong either way. (I can explain, but if you are really a smartass like me then you can figure it out yourself) Let me know if a explanation is needed



  8. 29 Apr '05 00:32
    We could be. I don't know Bowmann's real identity.