1. Joined
    20 Aug '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 05:39
    Had a game the other day and put person in double check. That's cool. I told him double check is a forced King move period... Then I chose that for part of my name in this Club. Tonight I was wondering if triple check was possible. I think not, but I've been surprised before. Can it be logically proven that triple check is impossible? Or, can you think of an example setup in which it is?
  2. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 06:031 edit
    You had me thinking for a few seconds . . . No.

I was thinking perhaps with an En passant but . . . again . . . no.

In an "orthodox" chess game triple check is not possible.

In a game using unorthodox pieces such as nonleaping knights it is.
  3. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 11:51
    Is triple check possible?

That would require three pieces to attack the enemy King in one move. So it's your move, the opposite King is not attacked [otherwise his last move would have been illegal], and within one move you unleash three pieces on him.

Is this possible?

You can move one piece, discovering the attack of the other [double check]. But you cannot move one piece with which you uncover two pieces that aim in the same direction [=>the King]. I think this explains it.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 12:27
    Originally posted by nihilismor
    You had me thinking for a few seconds . . . No.

I was thinking perhaps with an En passant but . . . again . . . no.

In an "orthodox" chess game triple check is not possible.

In a game using unorthodox pieces such as nonleaping knights it is.
    Agreed.
    With ep you can have two discovered checks (which is cool) but then the pawn cannot deliver check too.
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 12:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Agreed.
    With ep you can have two discovered checks (which is cool) but then the pawn cannot deliver check too.
    Forgive my ignorance but I cannot imagine such a thing. Two discovered checks with a pawn?

Oh,

1. Bg2+ d5
    2. cxd6 e.p.+
  6. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 15:11
    Weird version of chess where the rules aren't changed, but the initial set up is. Here, a pawn can start off the board, on the theoretical 9th rank.

Black has just played PD9-D7
  7. Joined
    20 Aug '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 04:51
    Thanks for the great comments. I concluded from this that my name, yesdoublecheck is just fine and won't be changing it to triple check.

Another curious thought however, is something that happens in movies ALL THE TIME. Yet I've never seen it in tons of games over the years. Has anyone ever seen it happen?

In the movies you'll hear one person say 'check' and the other person to say 'checkmate' on the next move. Which means not only did they get out of check, but they checkmated the other person at the same time. Yeah, right! Though extremely rare, does anyone know what a set up would look like to create this? (of course the movies don't show close up)
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 06:14
    Originally posted by yesdoublecheck
    In the movies you'll hear one person say 'check' and the other person to say 'checkmate' on the next move. Which means not only did they get out of check, but they checkmated the other person at the same time. Yeah, right! Though extremely rare, does anyone know what a set up would look like to create this? (of course the movies don't show close up)
    Please, can anyone give Hollywood some chess instructors...
  9. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 07:36
    Was a puzzle I made a while back: White to play and selfmate in quite a few.

10. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 07:39
    The whole thing ends like this: White checks, and then black HAS to checkmate.

It pretty much would never happen in a sensible game of chess where players are trying to win.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 08:1914 edits
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Forgive my ignorance but I cannot imagine such a thing. Two discovered checks with a pawn?

Oh,
    [fen]8/3p4/2k5/2P5/8/8/8/2R2B2[/fen]

1. Bg2+ d5
    2. cxd6 e.p.+

Pawn can check by promoting but that doesn't solve the problem. No third piece...
  12. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 08:21
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [fen]3kn3/3P4/8/8/8/8/8/3R3K[/fen]
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 08:22
    [fen]3kn3/3P4/8/8/8/8/8/3R3K[/fen]
    Thx.
  14. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 08:261 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Thx.
    You need to fill out the empty squares too, after 3kn you must put 3/, not /.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 17:32
    You need to fill out the empty squares too, after 3kn you must put 3/, not /.
    I finally figured it out, but thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree