Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 Feb '09 10:03
    Not sure just how close to a gram a buck or a tenspot is, pretty close, can you have an amount of money, paper or coins included that adds up to exactly one pound, 16 oz, (within 1/10 gram)?
  2. 18 Feb '09 16:16
    According to http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?action=Coin_specifications, each individual quarter is 5.67g. One pound is roughly 453.59g. Eighty quarters ($20.00) would weigh 453.60g. Which is only 0.01g difference.
  3. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    18 Feb '09 18:43
    A friend of mine just did his own calculation, trying to figure out how much the money lost in the recent Ponzi scheme would weigh, and how difficult it would be to hide it:

    (1) $1 million in $100 bills weighs about 20 lbs.
    (2) Therefore, $50 million in $100 bills weighs about 1 million lbs, or about 500 tons.
    (3) 1 large car, a 4x4 crew cab Ford F-150, weighs about 3.5 tons.
    (4) Therefore $50 million in $100 bills weighs about as much as 143 Ford F-150's (the small/medium sized municipal parking lot nearby has space for 37 cars).
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Feb '09 09:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PBE6
    A friend of mine just did his own calculation, trying to figure out how much the money lost in the recent Ponzi scheme would weigh, and how difficult it would be to hide it:

    (1) $1 million in $100 bills weighs about 20 lbs.
    (2) Therefore, $50 million in $100 bills weighs about 1 million lbs, or about 500 tons.
    (3) 1 large car, a 4x4 crew cab Ford F-150, we ...[text shortened]... s 143 Ford F-150's (the small/medium sized municipal parking lot nearby has space for 37 cars).
    We just did 1000 pounds of $100 bills, that is 43 mil, your weight is off by 3 orders of mag. One paper US bill = almost exactly one gram.
    See the "Worth of money" thread.
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    19 Feb '09 09:46
    Originally posted by Morl
    According to http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?action=Coin_specifications, each individual quarter is 5.67g. One pound is roughly 453.59g. Eighty quarters ($20.00) would weigh 453.60g. Which is only 0.01g difference.
    Nice! So a quarter is 1/80th of a pound.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    19 Feb '09 19:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Nice! So a quarter is 1/80th of a pound.
    Quarters were once made of silver, and the British pound means a pound of silver...so you could in principle convert quarters to British currency right?
  7. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 Feb '09 11:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Quarters were once made of silver, and the British pound means a pound of silver...so you could in principle convert quarters to British currency right?
    Wonder when the last actual silver quarter was around? 1790? well a quick google says 1964, but it was just 90% silver so it wasn't sterling.