Can you read this?

Can you read this?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
22 Jun 07

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht th e frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

MS

Under Cover

Moves
22 Jun 07

Originally posted by smw6869
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht th e frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it w ...[text shortened]... istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
I can't make any sense of that gibberish.

G

Moves
22 Jun 07

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht th e frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it w ...[text shortened]... istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
That is actually pretty darn good!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
22 Jun 07
1 edit

It's aslo very itnopmrat not to aenrltate normally wteritn words wtih the glrbead ones. Taht causes hacdheeas.

m

Moves
22 Jun 07

i couldn't believe that I could actually understand what I was reading. The phenomenal power of the human mind, accoding to a research at Cabmrigde University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only imortant thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it whithout a problem. This is because the human mnid does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole. Amazing huh? yeah and I always thought speling was important!

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
22 Jun 07

Originally posted by BLReid
I can't make any sense of that gibberish.
The site where i found this said only 50% of people could read this.

m

Moves
22 Jun 07

was I correct in my translation?

MS

Under Cover

Moves
22 Jun 07

The site where i found this said only 50% of people could read this.
I was kidding. 🙂 I've seen this before, and it is pretty surprising that we can make sense of it.

a
AGW Hitman

http://xkcd.com/386/

Moves
22 Jun 07

would cause problems for current ai language recognition systems, see www.a-i.com and speak to their engine, alan, he's the best I've found, but try out this apparent gibberish and see what happens, it's pretty funny.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
23 Jun 07

Originally posted by merman
was I correct in my translation?
yes

L

Moves
23 Jun 07

The study showed that if the first and last letter of the word are correct, there could be bad misspellings and we could still understand it.

a
AGW Hitman

http://xkcd.com/386/

Moves
23 Jun 07

That might have something to do with dyslexia, no?
I've one or two dyslexic friends and have noticed that whenever they misspelled words, or when they were reading, they either got the first letter right and made spelling mistakes later in the word, or when they were reading would replace the written word with a word of the same first letter, or a very similar word. It was as if they had all the words there, but were seeing or writing the first letter and 'guessing' the rest. As if their brain was in a rush.
Is there any link? maybe this unscrambling thing could just be in overdrive in people with dyslexia? Just an interesting thought I had.