1. Standard memberJeanTylerGabriel
    Philosopher's Gambit
    Moves
    07 Aug '08 07:34

the game played out as follows:

1 Nc6 Nc3 2 Ne5 Nf3 3 Nd3++

how is it that this game is over so quickly?

(yes; this is a legal win; as it does not violate any of the rules for checkmate)
  2. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    07 Aug '08 10:15
    Because this is a wild game. The black king sits at e1 not e8 as it usually does. The black pawns capture towards the bottom of the board, such that they cannot take the Nd3. They are one square away from promoting.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '07
    Moves
    07 Aug '08 12:58
    the moves that you gave kinda gives the answer away don't you think?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 20:30
    legal win, impossible position
  5. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 00:02
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    legal win, impossible position
    sometimes it helps to read the previous posts 😉
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 20:041 edit
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    sometimes it helps to read the previous posts 😉
    Sometimes it helps to know what you're talking about. It is an impossible position that can't occur in a game. What's your point?
  7. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 02:57
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Sometimes it helps to know what you're talking about. It is an impossible position that can't occur in a game. What's your point?
    By "reading previous posts" I meant Dejections posting. As he said, it is a "wild" game. This is a certain variation of chess with a different starting position. I play it myself on fics server sometimes. So it definitely can occur in a legal game.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 05:434 edits
    By "reading previous posts" I meant Dejections posting. As he said, it is a "wild" game. This is a certain variation of chess with a different starting position. I play it myself on fics server sometimes. So it definitely can occur in a legal game.
    "Wild" chess with different starting positions are not legal games. They are not Orthodox Problems which assume a legal starting position. Neither the pawns or the pieces in the problem can be where they are, all I did was point that out, since it wasn't given in the problem and was basically a cheapo, hoping the solver wouldn't notice the misplaced Queens and Kings and assume it was a standard opening array. Then you came along and made a big deal out of it and claimed I hadn't read the previous post.
    Enjoy your problem. I'm done here.
  9. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 11:42
    hey relax, i didnt mean any offense. i guess its just a matter of definition. i played it in a legal game, so to me its a legal position. but thats just my opinion. 🙂
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 12:36
    hey relax, i didnt mean any offense. i guess its just a matter of definition. i played it in a legal game, so to me its a legal position. but thats just my opinion. 🙂
    it is a matter of definition. it is the matter of who is entitled to give the definition. if it is not according to the FIDE tournament rules it is not a legal game.

when i was young i played games where white is required to make two moves on match start, followed by two moves of blacks. it doesn't make it a legal game.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 17:002 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it is a matter of definition. it is the matter of who is entitled to give the definition. if it is not according to the FIDE tournament rules it is not a legal game.

when i was young i played games where white is required to make two moves on match start, followed by two moves of blacks. it doesn't make it a legal game.
    Nobody is claiming that this is an orthodox chess problem. The game is obviously a chess variant: a game, otherwise resembling chess, in which some of the rules are deliberately changed [in this case, the starting position].

The legality arguments in this thread are thus a total waste of breath.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree