1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 04:05
    See title. They had a space program in WWII.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 18:571 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Without wars no spaceprogram would be necessary. Without war, noone would set foot on the Moon.

Peenemünde wouldn't be as advanced to start any space program.
    Perhaps the Germans would have nuclear power earlier, but without the nuclear bomb.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 12:33
    Like Fab says, rockets such as the V2 were developed as a war machine. Although they could have developed it as a civilian research tool, they didn't. It seems unlikely to me they would have developed anything unrelated to war. Our own space program was the beneficiary of war, captured V2's and V2 scientists. We got the best ones like Von Braun. Given enough time, ANY nation could have developed peaceful rockets but with the warlike attitudes in the early 20th century it is unlikely anyone doing so would have had their programs diverted to war efforts.
  4. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    22 Jul '10 17:561 edit
    The man on the moon effort probably wouldn't have a huge emphasis on a particular nation.
    The whole space race thing was a pissing contest, especially post WWII. The only reason the U.S. put a man up there was because they didn't want the Soviets to do it first- wanted to hold on to a reputation that they were the capitalistic superheroes.

Jesus, goldeneye lasers, a tank on the moon and mutually assured destruction! Ridiculous.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Jul '10 20:20
    Originally posted by ua41
    The man on the moon effort probably wouldn't have a huge emphasis on a particular nation.
    The whole space race thing was a pissing contest, especially post WWII. The only reason the U.S. put a man up there was because they didn't want the Soviets to do it first- wanted to hold on to a reputation that they were the capitalistic superheroes.

Jesus, goldeneye lasers, a tank on the moon and mutually assured destruction! Ridiculous.
    That's the thing - Germany was DEMANDING a pissing contest with the world to prove they were best - what if this were channelled into peaceful means of saying "my balls are bigger than yours" like creating a giant metal phallus and claiming the Moon!
  6. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    22 Jul '10 20:49
    That's the thing - Germany was DEMANDING a pissing contest with the world to prove they were best - what if this were channelled into peaceful means of saying "my balls are bigger than yours" like creating a giant metal phallus and claiming the Moon!
    Hahaha ๐Ÿ˜€ So I guess the real puzzler here is how big would this phallic structure have to be in order to prove such a claim?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jul '10 23:44
    Originally posted by ua41
    Hahaha ๐Ÿ˜€ So I guess the real puzzler here is how big would this phallic structure have to be in order to prove such a claim?
    Well I think one 225,000 miles long with the tip right on the moon would do it๐Ÿ™‚

Then we could just build a highway to the stars๐Ÿ˜‰
  8. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 13:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well I think one 225,000 miles long with the tip right on the moon would do it๐Ÿ™‚

Then we could just build a highway to the stars๐Ÿ˜‰
    That made me laugh :p

Problem is that that would probabely screw up the moon's orbit and have it crushing down on us ๐Ÿ™‚
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 13:311 edit
    Originally posted by TheMaster37

Problem is that that would probabely screw up the moon's orbit and have it crushing down on us ๐Ÿ™‚
    **** Silly Question Alert ****

What would happen with Earth's orbit if if an unbreakable pillar anchored the moon to the earth?

Something like this:
    O-o
    which then rotated as a whole.

(if necessary assume earth's rotation is unchanged).
  10. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 07:02
    Originally posted by Palynka
    **** Silly Question Alert ****

What would happen with Earth's orbit if if an unbreakable pillar anchored the moon to the earth?

Something like this:
    O-o
    which then rotated as a whole.

(if necessary assume earth's rotation is unchanged).
    I'm guessing we would all die.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 21:32
    Originally posted by TheMaster37

The moon is getting further from Earth at a rate of about an inch per year, 1 or 2 cm/ year. So it is unlikely it would come back to Earth. If anything, you would have to allow for that much stretch per year, like maybe a 50 cm in ten years. Otherwise the mechanism snaps in two. I don't think it would be able to stop the moon moving that much. Maybe you could turn that into some kind of energy generator๐Ÿ™‚
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 14:141 edit
    The moon is getting further from Earth at a rate of about an inch per year, 1 or 2 cm/ year. So it is unlikely it would come back to Earth. If anything, you would have to allow for that much stretch per year, like maybe a 50 cm in ten years. Otherwise the mechanism snaps in two. I don't think it would be able to stop the moon moving that much. Maybe you could turn that into some kind of energy generator๐Ÿ™‚
    The moon is getting further from Earth, right, at the moment.
    When Earth and Moon synchronize, then Moon will getting nearer again, ultimately crash on Earth's surface, in pieces. It will take several billion of years until that happens.
    "Million of years?"
    "No, *billion* of years."
    "Phiew!"
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 21:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When Earth and Moon synchronize, then Moon will getting nearer again, ultimately crash on Earth's surface, in pieces. It will take several billion of years until that happens.
    "Million of years?"
    "Phiew!"
    When I gave a lecture in Japan, I was asked not to mention the possible re-collapse of the universe, because it might affect the stock market. However, I can re-assure anyone who is nervous about their investments that it is a bit early to sell: even if the universe does come to an end, it won't be for at least twenty billion years. By that time, maybe the GATT trade agreement will have come into effect.

Stephen Hawking

http://www.hawking.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=66
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Aug '10 04:272 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    "Million of years?"
    "Phiew!"
    The moon and Earth are already in sync, one side always faces the Earth, well a bit of wobble, you can sometimes see a bit around the bend but mostly the same face always shows on Earth.

It was a real surprise when the Russians photographed the backside of the moon way back when, 1960? 65, not sure. The resolution sucked but it was enough to show major differences in the surface back to front.

The sync will never change, the moon just recedes a cm per year or so. At that rate the sun will expand into the Earth/moon system way before we have to worry about anything the moon does.

Found a wiki, the probes were called Lunik's and the first one launched in 1959. The machine making the image is shown in this article, it is clear it is a form of fax machine.

Here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_3
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '10 04:321 edit
    The moon and Earth are already in sync, one side always faces the Earth, well a bit of wobble, you can sometimes see a bit around the bend but mostly the same face always shows on Earth.
    The Moon is in sync with the Earth. The Earth is *not* in sync with the Moon.

One day and night on moon is the same as one revolution around Earth, i.e. 28 days. When one day and night is the same as on revolution 'around' Moon (or our common point of gravity), i.e. 28 days, then we are in sync with the Moon. It's not the case now. Today one day and night only is 24 hours.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree