1. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 03:15
    How about this:

Let x(0) = 1, and let x(2n+1) = x(n) and x(2n+2) = x(n) + x(n+1). Then the nth positive rational number is x(n-1)/x(n).
  2. top of the world
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 14:39
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    How about this:

Let x(0) = 1, and let x(2n+1) = x(n) and x(2n+2) = x(n) + x(n+1). Then the nth positive rational number is x(n-1)/x(n).
    cantor's method of counting only establishes that the set of rational nos. is countable. it does not give a one to one mapping(bijection).
    Royalchic, you are yet to prove that ur method of counting is one-to one mapping.....
  3. top of the world
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 14:46
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    I don't know if Cantor found a bijection (one-one correspondence) directly. It's easier to
    show that N and Q are the same size by finding an injection (a map where there's no
    'overlap'😉 from N to Q (trivial) and another from Q to N (not too hard either, drawing a
    zigzag or spiral shape on a graph is usually used to illustrate this.) What got me ...[text shortened]... ut I thought that bijections must exist if the sets are the same size, so I tried to
    find one.
    Have you urself found such a bijection urself? Dont reveal it right now but U can share if you have found one. That adds fun and challenge for all others....
  4. Joined
    25 Jul '04
    Moves
    18 Sep '04 16:122 edits
    How about this:

This is quite interesting. But clearly this scheme of yours is not bijection as 1/2 and 2/4 though both are the same rational number, will have different cardinality n in this representation.
    The same is the case with your earlier propasal of taking the binary operation of addition and go counting over rationals with equal sum of numerator and denominator. The same discrepancy mars the representation using product as the binary operator over the numerator and denominator.
  5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    18 Sep '04 17:19
    Originally posted by sarathian
    This is quite interesting. But clearly this scheme of yours is not bijection as 1/2 and 2/4 though both are the same rational number, will have different cardinality n in this representation.
    The same is the case with your earlier propasal of taking the binary operation of addition and go counting over rationals with equal sum of numerator and ...[text shortened]... mars the representation using product as the binary operator over the numerator and denominator.
    Erm, no, 2/4 is Sir-not-appearing-in-this-sequence.
  6. top of the world
    Moves
    18 Sep '04 18:042 edits
    This puzzle has been listed as one of the selected unsolved puzzles in at least one website which I accidentally came across. I dont recall the exact address of the site.
  7. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    18 Sep '04 20:12
    Originally posted by observantU
    This puzzle has been listed as one of the selected unsolved puzzles in at least one website which I accidentally came across. I dont recall the exact address of the site.
    Hmm, if you're interested, use induction on m+n to prove that if m and n are relatively prime, then m and n are consecutive terms in the sequence of xs.
  8. Joined
    25 Jul '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '04 08:06
    I concede and withdraw my remark. But how can you tell what is the
    1000 th or the 10000 th rational? And how do you tell the cardinality (i.e. the serial no.) ,of any given prime ,say 355/113 or say 371/1000, without tabulating all the rationals up to that ? It still will require proof of this being bijection. Tabulation or even computer-search is no "proof'.
  9. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    19 Sep '04 12:31
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    Following on from the discussion about Cantor a few days ago, I have a challenge: to count
    the rational numbers (both positive and negative!) Obviously you can't count all the rationals
    explicitly, so I want you to generate a list of rationals so that you can give me a rule for
    finding the nth number on the list, and also one for finding any particul ...[text shortened]... You might find it easier to
    make a list of all integers, and go from there onto the rationals.
    0 0
    1 1
    2 -1
    3 2
    4 3/2
    5 1/2
    6 -1/2
    7 -3/2
    8 -2
    9 3
    10 8/3
    11 7/3
    12 5/3
    13 4/3

and so on.
  10. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    19 Sep '04 12:35
    Above doesn't appear to have any rule to it, and you're probabely right. Above does give a bijection from N to Q though.
  11. Joined
    08 Jun '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '04 16:111 edit
    Originally posted by sarathian
    I concede and withdraw my remark. But how can you tell what is the
    1000 th or the 10000 th rational? And how do you tell the cardinality (i.e. the serial no.) ,of any given prime ,say 355/113 or say 371/1000, without tabula ...[text shortened]... ion. Tabulation or even computer-search is no "proof'.
    Perhaps you mean "rational" where you have used the word "prime" in second part of your post.
  12. Joined
    25 Jul '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '04 16:37
    Originally posted by cheskmate
    Perhaps you mean "rational" where you have used the word "prime" in second part of your post.
    I apologise . You are correct Sir , and I stand corrected. Thanx
  13. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    19 Sep '04 21:22
    I gave the germ of a proof in my response to observantU.
  14. top of the world
    Moves
    20 Sep '04 16:561 edit
    I gave the germ of a proof in my response to observantU.
    Okay, if m & n are relatively prime , then m+n is also relatively prime to both m and n. Basically Royalchic uses this very property to generate his sequence of consecutive successive relative primes. So? Proof of countability was never the issue of this puzzle.
    The poser has therefore alternatively framed the puzzle, that is , how do you find the 1000 th(or say million th) rational & how do you tell the serial no. of any given rational without generating the whole sequence ?
  15. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    20 Sep '04 20:313 edits
    Originally posted by observantU
    Okay, if m & n are relatively prime , then m+n is also relatively prime to both m and n. Basically Royalchic uses this very property to generate his sequence of consecutive successive relative primes. So? Proof of countabili ...[text shortened]... of any given rational without generating the whole sequence ?
    That's true and I have not done this.

It's not too hard to do a keep-dividing-by-two-and-looking-at-the-remainder thing.

For example, x(66) = x(32) + x(33) = x(15) + 2x(16) = 3x(7) + 2x(8) = 5x(3) + 2x(4) = 5 + 2 + 2x(2) = 11.

x(65) = x(32) = x(15) + x(16) = 2x(7) + x(8) = 3x(3) + x(4) = 3 + 1 + x(2) = 6.

Thus the 66th rational number is 6/11, unless I made an error, which is quite likely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree