Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard member Thequ1ck
    Fast above
    19 Nov '05 21:24
    4 musicians are on one side of a bridge at night and need to
    reach the other side in the next 16 minutes.

    They only have 1 flashlight and so must travel in pairs accross
    the bridge, with one person returning with the flashlight for the next pair.
    Going across, the pairs must walk at the speed of the slowest person.

    The 4 musicians take 1,2,5 & 9 minutes to cross the bridge
    respectively.

    How do they manage to do it?

    This is not a trick question but one of resource management.

    n.b there are 2 answers.
  2. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    19 Nov '05 22:51
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    4 musicians are on one side of a bridge at night and need to
    reach the other side in the next 16 minutes.

    They only have 1 flashlight and so must travel in pairs accross
    the bridge, with one person returning with the flashlight for the next pair.
    Going across, the pairs must walk at the speed of the slowest person.

    The 4 musicians take 1,2,5 & 9 mi ...[text shortened]... it?

    This is not a trick question but one of resource management.

    n.b there are 2 answers.
    Solution I:
    - 2 and 1 go over (2 min)
    - 1 comes back (1 min)
    - 9 and 5 go over (9 min)
    - 2 comes back (2 min)
    - 2 and 1 go over (2 min)
    Total time = 16 minutes

    Solution II:
    - 2 and 1 go over (2 min)
    - 2 comes back (2 min)
    - 9 and 5 go over (9 min)
    - 1 comes back (1 min)
    - 2 and 1 go over (2 min)
    Total time = 16 minutes

    The main idea is to never waste time sending 9 or 5 back, and also to 'eliminate' the 5-minute guy from the addition.
  3. Standard member Thequ1ck
    Fast above
    19 Nov '05 22:57
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Solution I:
    - 2 and 1 go over (2 min)
    - 1 comes back (1 min)
    - 9 and 5 go over (9 min)
    - 2 comes back (2 min)
    - 2 and 1 go over (2 min)
    Total time = 16 minutes

    Solution II:
    - 2 and 1 go over (2 min)
    - 2 comes back (2 min)
    - 9 and 5 go over (9 min)
    - 1 comes back (1 min)
    - 2 and 1 go over (2 min)
    Total time = 16 minutes

    The main idea ...[text shortened]... er waste time sending 9 or 5 back, and also to 'eliminate' the 5-minute guy from the addition.
    Very good. Most people take many hours to solve that one.
    The catch is understanding that the torch can be passed.
  4. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    27 Nov '05 09:43
    Heh, I know this riddle with a family. Daughter and son are the quickest, mother takes a bit longer and grandma takes the longest :p
  5. 27 Nov '05 18:05
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    4 musicians are on one side of a bridge at night and need to
    reach the other side in the next 16 minutes.

    They only have 1 flashlight and so must travel in pairs accross
    the bridge, with one person returning with the flashlight for the next pair.
    Going across, the pairs must walk at the speed of the slowest person.

    The 4 musicians take 1,2,5 & 9 mi ...[text shortened]... it?

    This is not a trick question but one of resource management.

    n.b there are 2 answers.
    I haven't read any answers yet.

    Heres mine,

    2 & 1 = 2
    2 = 2
    5 & 9 = 9
    1 = 1
    2 & 1 = 2

    Total = 16

    Took a little while to figure out how to get 5 & 9 across together.
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    28 Nov '05 04:36
    Originally posted by nickhawker
    I haven't read any answers yet.
    Eh, just admit you stole the answer from me. How could you ignore it when it's the 2nd post in the thread?
  7. 28 Nov '05 16:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Eh, just admit you stole the answer from me. How could you ignore it when it's the 2nd post in the thread?
    Because i didn't scroll down and hence didn't see your post till afterwards. You see there is this thing called willpower, it's quite useful.
  8. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    28 Nov '05 18:02
    Originally posted by nickhawker
    Because i didn't scroll down and hence didn't see your post till afterwards. You see there is this thing called willpower, it's quite useful.
    You must have a tiny monitor if you have to scroll down just to see the 2nd post in a thread...
  9. 28 Nov '05 20:28
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You must have a tiny monitor if you have to scroll down just to see the 2nd post in a thread...
    I had to...
  10. 30 Nov '05 03:30
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You must have a tiny monitor if you have to scroll down just to see the 2nd post in a thread...
    It is not so much the size of the monitor as its resolution setting. Plus, RHP has a rather wide top margin before the actual contents of the posts start. I see less than one half of the second post, with resolution set to 1024 x 768 (I know, I'm an old blind bat and have to have big text