1. Joined
    28 Mar '03
    Moves
    06 Apr '03 19:32
    Originally posted by randomperson
    can't u just fit them into a hexagon and let them be any size?
    Unlucky mate, you seem to have missed out on a brain. If they are in a hexagon, each one is NOT touching all of the others
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Apr '03 20:521 edit
    Originally posted by randomperson
    can't u just fit them into a hexagon and let them be any size?
    I would be surprised if this works at all... original poster says all should touch each other where in a hex center would only touch all others and each on outside would only touch 3 others..... I am no mathamatition (heck, I can't even spell it) but it sounds impossible to me.
  3. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    06 Apr '03 21:16
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I would be surprised if this works at all... original poster says all should touch each other where in a hex center would only touch all others and each on outside would only touch 3 others..... I am no mathamatition (heck, I can't even spell it) but it sounds impossible to me.
    It is definitely possible. I have drawn it, built it out of cigarettes, and solved the problem.
  4. Joined
    28 Mar '03
    Moves
    06 Apr '03 21:38

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    07 Apr '03 00:43
    Phlabibit, they needn't all be placed "on a plane". Some of them can be standing up, stacked, etc.
  6. Joined
    28 Mar '03
    Moves
    07 Apr '03 08:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Apr '03 02:282 edits
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Phlabibit, they needn't all be placed "on a plane". Some of them can be standing up, stacked, etc.
    Yeah! I was starting to wonder that... but I can't see it... can it be done with pencils? Havn't tried but thought about it.😲

wait... update.. If it can be done with cigarettes perhaps I can try it with golf pencils.

Another update. They are not on a plane, more like a weave around a center axis.... I may need some string for this....😲
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Apr '03 15:43

?😕
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Apr '03 18:18
    Coming up with a number more like 6.07... my last figure wouldn't reach to touch, although they did overlap.
  10. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    09 Apr '03 20:17
    Coming up with a number more like 6.07... my last figure wouldn't reach to touch, although they did overlap.
    Excellent work 😀! The answer is actually 7*sqrt(3)/2 =~ 6.07. Did you prove it?
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 02:23
    Excellent work 😀! The answer is actually 7*sqrt(3)/2 =~ 6.07. Did you prove it?
    I used a CAD package to draw it out and measured the outcome (wrong) first based on the cylincers not quite reaching each other to touch at the center bottom and top planes of 3... and finally figured out I did it wrong and drew it again "more better"

Anyhow, I don't have the skill to do that with a pencil "math style". I basicly drew it and measured based on a Diameter of 1.
  12. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 20:34
    I used a CAD package to draw it out and measured the outcome (wrong) first based on the cylincers not quite reaching each other to touch at the center bottom and top planes of 3... and finally figured out I did it wrong and drew it again "more better"

Anyhow, I don't have the skill to do that with a pencil "math style". I basicly drew it and measured based on a Diameter of 1.
    Good on you. The way to do it, "math style", would be to look at it in its limiting position and from there it is a matter of trigonometry. It's actually harder to prove it with 6 cylinders, where the minimum l/d=2*SQRT(3).

CAD-Very impressive 😀! I didn't see that coming.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 21:08
    Good on you. The way to do it, "math style", would be to look at it in its limiting position and from there it is a matter of trigonometry. It's actually harder to prove it with 6 cylinders, where the minimum l/d=2*SQRT(3).

CAD-Very impressive 😀! I didn't see that coming.
    Cool. If anyone cares to see the picture I placed it up at

http://www.riwire.com/images/cylinder1.jpg

Nothing fancy like a 3d image, but shows the one cylinder on end and the other 6 in 2 groups of 3.😵
  14. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 22:01
    Cool. If anyone cares to see the picture I placed it up at

http://www.riwire.com/images/cylinder1.jpg

Nothing fancy like a 3d image, but shows the one cylinder on end and the other 6 in 2 groups of 3.😵
    Very impressive drawing...what is "riwire"?
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 23:42
    Very impressive drawing...what is "riwire"?
    If you don't have an antique car you probably wouldn't care. We reproduce original style cloth covered wire sets for old cars like America's Big 3 from the mid to late 1950's and older (Ford / Chevy and Chrysler) as well as Studebaker, Packard, DeSoto, REO, Willy's, Bantam, Hudson, etc.

Lucas wiring (Jaguar's / Cobras / MG / Austin Healey / Astin Martin)

We do Mercedes (although Mercedes sells everything they ever made for a car from the factory for One arm and a leg)

Cars you may not remember like Tucker, Cord, Durant, and Essex etc.

Cars you never heard of like RV Knight, Seyers Scovil, Mercer, Jordan, etc.

It's fun as heck.
    😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree