1. Steelers Country
    Joined
    12 Apr '02
    Moves
    32833
    14 Jan '05 03:41
    did you know that

    111111111 X 111111111 = 12345678987654320

    i thought i was kinda interesting.

    PS i not sure if it belongs here but it didnt seem like it should go in the general fourm so i put it here
  2. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    117330
    14 Jan '05 05:37
    Originally posted by UncleAdam
    did you know that

    111111111 X 111111111 = 12345678987654320

    i thought i was kinda interesting.

    PS i not sure if it belongs here but it didnt seem like it should go in the general fourm so i put it here
    It's a pretty straightforward calculation. If you think of multiplying by hand, you'll end up adding stacks of ones. Each stack will have progressively more ones until the center, which has 9 (the number of ones in your two original numbers) and so you'll see that pattern.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    14 Jan '05 15:01
    Originally posted by UncleAdam
    did you know that

    111111111 X 111111111 = 12345678987654320

    i thought i was kinda interesting.

    PS i not sure if it belongs here but it didnt seem like it should go in the general fourm so i put it here
    You've made a typo, probably, as it should be 12345678987654321.
  4. Steelers Country
    Joined
    12 Apr '02
    Moves
    32833
    14 Jan '05 20:58
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You've made a typo, probably, as it should be 12345678987654321.
    nope, thats the way it came out on the calculator.
  5. Standard memberneight
    Cheese log/Beef log
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    4853
    14 Jan '05 21:491 edit
    Originally posted by UncleAdam
    nope, thats the way it came out on the calculator.
    Then your calculator's defective. You need prime factors of 5 and 2 for a non-trivial number to end in 0, and 111,111,111 does not have either factor. The correct product is indeed 12345678987654321
  6. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    117330
    15 Jan '05 02:52
    Originally posted by UncleAdam
    nope, thats the way it came out on the calculator.
    I wouldn't rush to call the calculator defective, but it certainly may not be precise enough to display such a large number correctly.

    My Microsoft Excel gives 12345678987654300 as the answer. The last two digits are suspect when the question was 111111111 * 111111111.

    The ancient art of handwritten math (!) would quickly show you that your calculator is not telling the full story:

    111111111
    x 111111111
    -------------
    111111111
    1111111110 ... STOP

    Every line after this will have at least one placeholder zero, so the least significant digit will remain 1!
  7. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Joined
    25 Oct '02
    Moves
    20443
    15 Jan '05 13:45
    *cough* something ending in a 1 multiplied with something ending in a 1 ends in a 1. It's as simple as that 🙂
  8. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Joined
    08 Aug '04
    Moves
    12493
    18 Jan '05 00:54
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    *cough* something ending in a 1 multiplied with something ending in a 1 ends in a 1. It's as simple as that 🙂
    I agree with you, but apparently Bill Gates disagrees, as Excel does give the answer of: 12345678987654300. I was tuaght in school that any number ending 1 times any number ending in 1 gave a product ending in 1. But Bill Gates must be right - he couldn't possibly have gotten so stinking rich by being wrong... ..could he? 😉
  9. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Joined
    25 Oct '02
    Moves
    20443
    18 Jan '05 12:05
    Originally posted by The Plumber
    he couldn't possibly have gotten so stinking rich by being wrong... ..could he?
    Of course he can! 😀
  10. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Joined
    08 Aug '04
    Moves
    12493
    18 Jan '05 19:20
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    Of course he can! 😀
    That must explain why I'm not rich....🙁...😲
  11. FORT WORTH
    Joined
    14 Nov '04
    Moves
    244
    30 Jan '05 17:35
    hey master37, where did you get a picture of a moogle from?????? its cool and i want one.😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
  12. Joined
    15 Apr '04
    Moves
    10409
    02 Feb '05 13:06
    Originally posted by red king richie128
    hey master37, where did you get a picture of a moogle from?????? its cool and i want one.😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
    right click on the picture and display properties..........
Back to Top