Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 10 Feb '07 16:24
  2. 10 Feb '07 16:25
    whoops, hold on...
    accidentally hit post...
    havent gotten the problem up yet...
  3. 10 Feb '07 16:26
    finish the next ten digits of the pattern
    98, 97, 95, 93, 89, 87, 83, 81, 77, 71, 69
  4. 10 Feb '07 17:54
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    finish the next ten digits of the pattern
    98, 97, 95, 93, 89, 87, 83, 81, 77, 71, 69
    67?
  5. 10 Feb '07 20:52
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    67?
    nope...
    its a little more challenging than id originally anticipated now that i think about it...
  6. 11 Feb '07 10:29
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    nope...
    its a little more challenging than id originally anticipated now that i think about it...
    70?
  7. Standard member iMD
    11 Feb '07 15:28
    63?
  8. 11 Feb '07 16:40
    63, 59, 57, 53, 47, 41, 39, 33, 29, 27, 21, 17, 11, 3

    if it is a series of 100-prime
  9. 11 Feb '07 23:01
    Originally posted by aging blitzer
    63, 59, 57, 53, 47, 41, 39, 33, 29, 27, 21, 17, 11, 3

    if it is a series of 100-prime
    good job...
    didnt think itd be that easy
  10. 12 Feb '07 20:36
    Wait.. I thought of that at first.. but threw the option out because most of the numbers in the series aren't prime... 98, 87.. etc.
  11. 12 Feb '07 21:20
    Is there a pattern for prime numbers that are the next perfect square minus a prime?

    1 is not (as it is not a prime although 4-3 would be what I was talking about)
    2 is 4-2
    7 is 9-2
    23 is 25-2
    47 is 49-2
    79 is 81-2

    Does this pattern continue forever? Can it be proven?
  12. 13 Feb '07 16:01
    Nope, not a pattern

    12^2 = 144... 142 is not prime.
  13. 14 Feb '07 02:22
    Originally posted by Obese
    Wait.. I thought of that at first.. but threw the option out because most of the numbers in the series aren't prime... 98, 87.. etc.
    the series is 100 minus primes in order of increasing numbers...
    98 (100 minus 2)
    87 (100 minus 13)
  14. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    14 Feb '07 07:22
    Originally posted by Obese
    Nope, not a pattern

    12^2 = 144... 142 is not prime.
    Minus A prime.
  15. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    14 Feb '07 07:27
    Originally posted by Gastel
    Is there a pattern for prime numbers that are the next perfect square minus a prime?

    1 is not (as it is not a prime although 4-3 would be what I was talking about)
    2 is 4-2
    7 is 9-2
    23 is 25-2
    47 is 49-2
    79 is 81-2

    Does this pattern continue forever? Can it be proven?
    2 is 4-2
    7 is 9-2

    11 is 16-5
    5 is 16-11

    23 is 25-2

    19 is 36-17
    17 is 36-19

    47 is 49-2

    41 is 64-23
    23 is 64-41

    79 is 81-2

    You skipped a few squares.