1. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 00:211 edit
    this is a real life puzzle,it is happening to me.

For some time now our earth leakage switch has been activating between 5am and 7am.

below are the dates.
    mon tue wed thur frid sat sun
    july 21
    aug 11 14
    sep 15 18
    oct 13
    nov 17 27
    dec 1 13 14
    23 24
    jan 2

To start with the dates were only mondays and thursdays then starting on the 13th dec no mondays or thursdays.

We have fair reason to believe that this is deliberate but we can find no proof. I have a motion detecter out the back and a door open alarm on the meter box and twice now I have been awake as the power went out. The alarms did not activate nor did I see any sign of anyone. The pattern of the outagages and threats we have recieved seem to point to someone doing it but we have not a clue as to how.

if it was a faulty appliance then why would it only be 5-7am. and why would the switch turn back on straight away. Also if it was an appliance set to switch on at a preset time would this time not keep extending out to a later time. The times have been all over the place but no later than 7:10am which was in oct. later ones have all been earlier.

Any thoughts as to what we may do or what may be happening.

Jim Mc

I do not Know how to line up the above chart with the days,sorry about that.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 10:52
    Perhaps someone has made an earth leak somewhere, this can be done remotely using a switch and some wire connected to your house grid.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 11:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Perhaps someone has made an earth leak somewhere, this can be done remotely using a switch and some wire connected to your house grid.
    How would I establish this. Am I being paranoid or cauld it be a fault in the system. What are the odds of the pattern being random.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jan '09 13:02
    Originally posted by jimmac
    How would I establish this. Am I being paranoid or cauld it be a fault in the system. What are the odds of the pattern being random.
    I suppose it could still be a flaw in the system, ask an electrician.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 04:53
    Originally posted by jimmac
    this is a real life puzzle,it is happening to me.

For some time now our earth leakage switch has been activating between 5am and 7am.

below are the dates.
    mon tue wed thur frid sat sun
    july 21
    aug 11 14
    sep 15 18
    oct 13
    nov 17 27
    dec 1 ...[text shortened]... Mc

I do not Know how to line up the above chart with the days,sorry about that.
    I think we call it something different here, Ground Fault Interruper.
    If so, we had something similar happen when we lived in Jerusalem. The electrical standards are very poor there, electric fuze boxes build on wood, wires run through plastic tubes that collects moisture and the GFI continually went off, so much so I had to externally wire power to a living room light so we would at least be able to see inside at night, bypassed the GFI. You may have something like that going on, each CB should have its own GFI on it so it should not take out the whole house unless you have a whole house GFI, not sure about that, but it may be due to condensation in some wiring. You can troubleshoot it by removing wires one at a time after cutting power, turn power on and wait till next day and see if it goes off again. Keep doing that till you find the offending wire. Good luck. Don.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree