Everyone's favourite problem

Everyone's favourite problem

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
02 Feb 05

The following is a question from one of my example sheets, ie questions for the purpose of practising material covered in lectures:

You are given m apparently indentical coins, one of which may be a forgery. Forged coins are either too light or too heavy. You are also given a balance, on which you may place any of the coins you like. The coins placed in either pan may be together heavier or lighter than those in the other pan, or the pans may balance.
You are allowed at most 3 uses of the balance. Show that if m > 13 then you cannot be sure of detecting the forgery and its nature.

Sound familiar? Well, I'm not asking you to do my homework: your challenge is not to solve the problem above (which has already appeared in P+P more than any other problem, I suspect). Your challenge is to answer the following: what is the name of the lecture course for which the problem has been set? The metaphorical biscuit will go to the first guess that is sufficiently close to the answer. As a hint: you might find it helpful to look at one of my earlier posts on the RHP forums, in which I give a fairly thorough analysis of the balance problem, long before I started attending this particular lecture course.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
02 Feb 05

Originally posted by Acolyte
The following is a question from one of my example sheets, ie questions for the purpose of practising material covered in lectures:

You are given m apparently indentical coins, one of which may be a forgery. Forged coins are either too light or too heavy. You are also given a balance, on which you may place any of the coins you like. The coins place ...[text shortened]... analysis of the balance problem, long before I started attending this particular lecture course.
Introduction to Algorithm Analysis

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
02 Feb 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Introduction to Algorithm Analysis
More specific.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
02 Feb 05

More specific.
Optimisation and Control

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
02 Feb 05

More specific.
Introduction to Analysis of Discrete Algorithms of Decision Theory

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
02 Feb 05

Introduction to Analysis of Discrete Algorithms of Decision Theory
woah woah woah... I was looking for one key word! RC's suggestion is sensible (have you been reading 'Courses in the Mathematical Tripos', Mark?) but incorrect.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
02 Feb 05

woah woah woah... I was looking for one key word! RC's suggestion is sensible (have you been reading 'Courses in the Mathematical Tripos', Mark?) but incorrect.
I have as much Google skill as the next flu-ridden, smelly, unshaven mathmo.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
02 Feb 05
1 edit

woah woah woah... I was looking for one key word!
Introduction to Sorting Algorithms

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
02 Feb 05

Introduction to Sorting Algorithms
Nope. It seems my hint wasn't very helpful, as the forum searcher isn't as effective as it could be. Here is the relevant thread:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=2303

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
03 Feb 05

Nope. It seems my hint wasn't very helpful, as the forum searcher isn't as effective as it could be. Here is the relevant thread:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=2303
Something with the word 'Code' in it, then.

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
03 Feb 05

Originally posted by royalchicken
Something with the word 'Code' in it, then.
That's biscuit-worthy: the course is called "Coding and Cryptography". The strange thing is, I gave that solution involving 'weighing codes' more than two years ago, when I wasn't even a student, and yet I'm pretty sure that my lecturer wants me to use my 3rd year Tripos maths knowledge to answer the question in exactly the same way. Maybe they don't teach us that much after all 😉

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
03 Feb 05

I'm pretty sure that my lecturer wants me to use my 3rd year Tripos maths knowledge to answer the question in exactly the same way.
Mmmm, biscuits 🙂

Come to think of it, I once confused your avatar with a coin, so you can impress your lecturer by working it out in terms of biscuits instead, or cookies if your lecturer is EDG.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
03 Feb 05

Originally posted by royalchicken
Mmmm, biscuits 🙂

Come to think of it, I once confused your avatar with a coin, so you can impress your lecturer by working it out in terms of biscuits instead, or cookies if your lecturer is EDG.
i think it used to be a coin, or someone elses was/is a coin.

i thought it was a coin too...😛