1. Leuven
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 22:59
    I've learned about this phenomenon in school.
    It's called subluminal (or superluminal, not sure) light and it is indeed the group velocity of waves that can be faster than c.
    This is the velocity of peaks you get when adding all the different waves in a medium.
    It occurs when waves of different wavelenghts have different wave speeds.

It seems unnatural but you have to remember that nothing is really moving with the velocity, it only seems that way. You can't use it to send information faster than light. How it all works is still a bit alien to me too.

Anyway, you can see an applet here:
    http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/APPLETS/20/20.html

Fun fact: it is also possible to produce 'stopped light' with this!
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 18:33
    My favourite example of the difference between group and phase velocity is in internal gravity waves in a stratified fluid. In that case, the two are at right angles!
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 19:58
    imagine two spiral arcs of two different galaxies that are crossing paths.

The arcs are closing like scissors.

The "phenomenon" of movement .. .the point of the crossing, can move faster than the speed of light, but not particular particle or wave is moving faster than the speed of light.

phenomena easily move faster than the speed of light.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 08:39
    Originally posted by coquette
    imagine two spiral arcs of two different galaxies that are crossing paths.

The arcs are closing like scissors.

The "phenomenon" of movement .. .the point of the crossing, can move faster than the speed of light, but not particular particle or wave is moving faster than the speed of light.

phenomena easily move faster than the speed of light.
    I dont think that is correct.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 14:36
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes, it's a bad example.

It's quite simple. "Things" can travel faster than light, but "influences" cannot.
    Wouldn't it be more accurate to say 'effects' move faster than C but 'influences' can not? To me, 'things' imply matter.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Wouldn't it be more accurate to say 'effects' move faster than C but 'influences' can not? To me, 'things' imply matter.
    Probably.

It would also be more accurate to say "c" instead of "C". 😉
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 18:051 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    To me 'effect' also implies that something can have an effect on other at faster than the speed of light. I guess it's just semantics, though...but I can't resist! 'Patterns'?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 21:171 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    But isnt that the speed of the wave? (ie c for radio waves)
    No, it's the velocity of the "wave" that is formed when you combine light beams of different wavelengths. Different wave.

The waves themselves are doing "the wave".

Another example:

A shadow can move faster than c. If you have a flashlight and an object in front of it, the shadow from this arrangements will move in an arc. Close up moving the flashlight 45 degrees might make the shadow move a meter; if you aim it farther away, in the same time the same movement will make the shadow move two meters.

Extrapolate this pattern and you can see you can make the shadow move faster than light as long as you aim it at something far enough away.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 21:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No, it's the velocity of the "wave" that is formed when you combine light beams of different wavelengths. Different wave.

Another example:

A shadow can move faster than c. If you have a flashlight and an object in front of it, the shadow from this arrangements will move in an arc. Close up moving ...[text shortened]... make the shadow move faster than light as long as you aim it at something far enough away.
    Are you sure? Covering something up doesn't destroy the photons that have already passed, so how can it be faster than light?
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 02:062 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Are you sure? Covering something up doesn't destroy the photons that have already passed, so how can it be faster than light?
    No I'm not sure. That was the example that introduced me to this concept.

I think the idea is that nothing travels with the shadow. It's simply that the photons have moved apart. If a flashlight is moved from directly out of the north pole to perpendicular to the north pole in one second, after a minute one photon goes one light minute out of the north pole, and another goes one light minute perpendicular to this, nd they are now more than one light minute apart, right? Square root of two light minutes apart, and the "beam of light" and any shadow it caries with it has moved that whole distance in one second.

EDIT - I think this describes it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow#Shadow_propagation_speed
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 08:351 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Another example:

A shadow can move faster than c. If you have a flashlight and an object in front of it, the shadow from this arrangements will move in an arc. Close up moving ...[text shortened]... make the shadow move faster than light as long as you aim it at something far enough away.
    Yes I'm aware of this phenomenon. The shadow does travel faster than light. (The key here is that a shadow doesnt move.)

I'm still struggling with the wave though!
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 10:192 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Yes I'm aware of this phenomenon. The shadow does travel faster than light. (The key here is that a shadow doesnt move.)

I'm still struggling with the wave though!
    Meneer Dries applet is excellent for visualizing it. Did you try it? You can see how group velocity can be much faster than the wavelets that form it. It's the same principle, as group velocity is just a velocity of a "pattern".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree