Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 01 Apr '05 11:57
    On http://www.grailmaster.com/misc/chess/comp/games/specials.htm a fastest stalemate is given in 28! moves.

    We all know this can be done, much faster. But how many moves do you need at least?

    Good luck!
  2. 01 Apr '05 12:43 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Siebren
    On http://www.grailmaster.com/misc/chess/comp/games/specials.htm a fastest stalemate is given in 28! moves.

    We all know this can be done, much faster. But how many moves do you need at least?

    Good luck!
    I asked this question a couple of weeks ago.

    It is likely that the fastest possible is in 9.5 moves:

    1. e3 a5 2. Qh5 Ra6 3. Qxa5 h5 4. Qxc7 Rah6 5. h4 f6 6. Qxd7 Kf7 7. Qxb7 Qd3 8. Qxb8 Qh7 9. Qxc8 Kg6 10. Qe6

    .
  3. 01 Apr '05 12:59
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    I asked this question a couple of weeks ago.

    It is likely that the fastest possible is in 9.5 moves:

    1. e3 a5 2. Qh5 Ra6 3. Qxa5 h5 4. Qxc7 Rh6 5. h4 f6 6. Qxd7 Kf7 7. Qxb7 Qd3 8. Qxb8 Qh7 9. Qxc8 Kg6 10. Qe6

    .
    wow! ok. then I change the question. What is the fastests way with still all the piece on the board?
  4. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    01 Apr '05 19:22
    Originally posted by Siebren
    wow! ok. then I change the question. What is the fastests way with still all the piece on the board?
    This one?

    1.d4 d6 2.Qd2 e5 3.a4 e4 4.Qf4 f5 5.h3 Be7 6.Qh2 Be6 7.Ra3 c5 8.Rg3 Qa5+ 9.Nd2 Bh4 10.f3 Bb3 11.d5 e3 12.c4 f4
  5. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    01 Apr '05 19:48
    Both of those were by the legendary Sam Loyd.
  6. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    01 Apr '05 20:37
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Both of those were by the legendary Sam Loyd.
    Who?
  7. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    01 Apr '05 20:50
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Who?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1886846057/qid=1112388615/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6101699-5710553?v=glance&s=books
    Him.
  8. Standard member abejnood
    Independant Thinker
    05 Apr '05 00:43
    On chessgames.com there was a real game with 11 move stalemate with all pieces on the board, there's a collection by iron maiden that has it, I forget who played it...
  9. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    05 Apr '05 02:52
    Originally posted by abejnood
    On chessgames.com there was a real game with 11 move stalemate with all pieces on the board, there's a collection by iron maiden that has it, I forget who played it...
    Somehow I doubt it. Surely if Loyd's longstanding record had really been broken it would have made news.
  10. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    06 Apr '05 14:47
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    I asked this question a couple of weeks ago.

    It is likely that the fastest possible is in 9.5 moves:

    1. e3 a5 2. Qh5 Ra6 3. Qxa5 h5 4. Qxc7 Rah6 5. h4 f6 6. Qxd7 Kf7 7. Qxb7 Qd3 8. Qxb8 Qh7 9. Qxc8 Kg6 10. Qe6

    .
    These very moves were played in a game in the last round of the Edinburgh Premier tournament on Sunday.
    The players only narrowly avoided being double-defaulted for pre-arranging the game.
  11. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    06 Apr '05 23:19
    Originally posted by abejnood
    On chessgames.com there was a real game with 11 move stalemate with all pieces on the board, there's a collection by iron maiden that has it, I forget who played it...
    1.d4 e5 2.Qd2 e4 3.Qf4 f5 4.h3 Bb4+ 5.Nd2 d6 6.Qh2 Be6 7.a4 Qh4 8.Ra3 c5 9.Rg3 f4 10.f3 Bb3 11.d5 Ba5 12.c4 e3 1/2-1/2

    It's 12 moves. Equalling the record but not breaking it.