1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 09:23
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    That's the first part but can you show that no non-regular polygon exists with a greater area?
    Does it have to be a polygon? I suspect, but cannot prove, that a semi-circular or semi-elliptical fence would be optimal.

Richard
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 09:40
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Does it have to be a polygon? I suspect, but cannot prove, that a semi-circular or semi-elliptical fence would be optimal.

Richard
    Well actually the problem stated that the fence had to be straight apart from sharp corners. If it didn't then obviously the best solution is a circle (A=2500/pi) [as my first problem related to an open field with no river].
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 09:46
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Well actually the problem stated that the fence had to be straight apart from sharp corners. If it didn't then obviously the best solution is a circle (A=2500/pi) [as my first problem related to an open field with no river].
    Then you'll have to define "sharp corners". It can't mean an acute angle, since the previous solutions used right angles (and anyway, if you allow only acute angles the solution trivially becomes "as closely approaching the right angle solution as you can manage with this fencing"😉. IYAM if you allow acute and right angles but no obtuse ones the solution must be the rectangular one; and if you do allow any obtuse angle, you start the approaching trick again, approaching a circle as closely as possible.

Richard
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 09:49
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Then you'll have to define "sharp corners". It can't mean an acute angle, since the previous solutions used right angles (and anyway, if you allow only acute angles the solution trivially becomes "as closely approaching the right angle solution as you can manage with this fencing"😉. IYAM if you allow acute and right angles but no obtuse ones the solutio ...[text shortened]... start the approaching trick again, approaching a circle as closely as possible.

Richard
    Jesus, stop reading into it. A square has sharp corners, so does an octogon and so does a regular polygon with 100 sides. A circle does not.

Note: Without the allowance of 0.5m the answer is trivial (as many sides as you can have as you start to approximate a solution), it becomes an optimization problem because you must balance the approximation of a circle with a reduced fence length with more corners.
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    14 Mar '07 18:19
    Originally posted by mtthw
    I think you're looking for Lagrange multipliers.

To find the maximum of f([b]x
    ), subject to the constraint g(x) = c,

Maximise F(x, lambda) = f(x) - lambda*[g(x) - c]

But I'm not planning on trying the calculation myself![/b]
    Thanks mtthw! Just tried a little Lagrange multiplier calculation here...almost ran out of ink. 😕 I think it might be easier to show that for a given perimeter and a given number of sides, say 3, that an equilateral triangle covers more area than any other type of triangle, and then proceed with a proof by induction.
  6. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 02:39
    yes 1800meters^2
  7. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 19:14
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Thanks mtthw! Just tried a little Lagrange multiplier calculation here...almost ran out of ink. 😕 I think it might be easier to show that for a given perimeter and a given number of sides, say 3, that an equilateral triangle covers more area than any other type of triangle, and then proceed with a proof by induction.
    Not getting anywhere right now...XanthosNZ, got a hint for me?
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 23:11
    I don't have any idea how to do it. If I did I wouldn't have asked.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 00:37
    If for a given number of vertices and fixed total edge length the polygon that encloses most area is the regular one then since you've already shown that the nonagon is the maximum regular case it's proven.
  10. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 04:22
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If for a given number of vertices and fixed total edge length the polygon that encloses most area is the regular one then since you've already shown that the nonagon is the maximum regular case it's proven.
    No, the second part...proving that a regular polygon constructed according to the stipulations encompasses the greatest area, greater than any irregular polygon. I'm still working on it...hopefully I'll come up with something before my teeth fall out. 😕
  11. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 05:58
    No, the second part...proving that a regular polygon constructed according to the stipulations encompasses the greatest area, greater than any irregular polygon. I'm still working on it...hopefully I'll come up with something before my teeth fall out. 😕
    You've shown that the regular 9-gon is the optimal regular polygon. What remains, I believe, is to show that for any n-gon, for a set perimeter length, the regular n-gon maximizes the area.

I didn't have any clue how to prove this so I did some google searching and I believe I found enough pieces to show this. Since I've "cheated" I won't spoil the problem--but I believe there is a fairly nice proof. PM me if you want the spoiler.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 07:55
    If A is true then A is proven.
    Nice.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 12:414 edits
    I probably didn't express this very well. What I was getting at is that you don't have to worry about the stipulations. Once you've fixed the number of vertices you've fixed the perimeter length. The polygon with the largest area for a given perimeter length is the regular one. Since you have already shown which regular polygon is the one with largest area we are home and dry; unless you want to prove that the regular polygon is the one with largest area.

I can't prove it either, except that for n-gons with the same perimeter the n-gon with maximum area must be convex; any concave bits can just be reflected so that they're convex and the area increases each time you do that. Are we allowed to assume that a circle has the largest area of any shape with a given perimeter length - if so you can show it's cyclic as well.
  14. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 13:59
    I probably didn't express this very well...Since you have already shown which regular polygon is the one with largest area we are home and dry; unless you want to prove that the regular polygon is the one with largest area.
    You're not reading very well, either. That's exactly what I'm trying to do! Geez, just read leisurelysloth's post if you refuse to understand mine.
  15. Joined
    14 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 14:43
    Without the allowance of 0.5m the answer is trivial (as many sides as you can have as you start to approximate a solution)
    What's all the fuss about here? As Xanthos has conceded "Without the allowance of 0.5m the answer is trivial (as many sides as you can have as you start to approximate a solution)". So with or without that stipulation, the closest approximation to a circle is a regular convex polygon with as many sides as possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree