1. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    31 May '08 16:07
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    The problem was just fine the way I initially stated it. Do you seriously not understand what 'distinguishable' is there supposed to convey?
    Well explain it to me, otherwise the 'tard is you..
  2. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    31 May '08 16:12
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    You need to consider 5 cases, and then multiply by 2
    explain the multiply by two part.
  3. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    31 May '08 16:13
    Bull. Your restatement is ambiguous and does not faithfully preserve the problem as I initially presented it, which made clear that the poles are distinguishable whereas flags of a given color are not.
    You're an idiot.
  4. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    31 May '08 17:32
    What do you think, what kind of impression would you leave on yourself calling others idiots? Childish statements about you? It doesn't matter that nobody knows you (in life) here. Everyone creates the impression about him himself.
  5. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    31 May '08 23:01
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    What do you think, what kind of impression would you leave on yourself calling others idiots? Childish statements about you? It doesn't matter that nobody knows you (in life) here. Everyone creates the impression about him himself.
    Look in the mirror dummkopf, your remarks are ridiculous i am only asking a question, and a simple one at that. It doesn't surprise me one bit that you and lemmonjelly are unable to answer it. Nevermind i will sort this out myself. 😠
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 01:42
    The following is a problem I found on a national mathematics exam.

Suppose you have two distinguishable flagpoles. You also have 19 flags. Ten of these flags are identical red flags while the other 9 are identical yellow flags. Find the number of distinguishable arrangements using all of the flags in which each pole has at least one flag and no two yellow flags on either pole are adjacent.
    1375 arrangements.
  7. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 08:48
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    Look in the mirror dummkopf, your remarks are ridiculous i am only asking a question, and a simple one at that. It doesn't surprise me one bit that you and lemmonjelly are unable to answer it. Nevermind i will sort this out myself. 😠
    Well, it was answered, in case you didn't notice.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 16:51
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    1375 arrangements.
    I see the error in my program now. I was thinking of the flags as one 19-digit binary number. "1"s were yellow flags. I allowed the "no adjacent 1's" rule to be broken once [because you could insert the flagpole separation at that point].

The thing I forgot to do is, if the number does NOT have any adjacent ones, then it counts for 18 hits total, because the separation for the two flagpoles can go in 18 different places. Once I added that, I got 2310 also.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 21:04
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I see the error in my program now. I was thinking of the flags as one 19-digit binary number. "1"s were yellow flags. I allowed the "no adjacent 1's" rule to be broken once [because you could insert the flagpole separation at that point].

The thing I forgot to do is, if the number does NOT have any adjacent ones, then it counts for 18 hits total, beca ...[text shortened]... on for the two flagpoles can go in 18 different places. Once I added that, I got 2310 also.
    I thought it was rather strange that you would offer up the wrong answer. 😲
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    You are functionally illiterate my man. please answer the question lemmonjelly, it is a simple one. eg. what about the case for symmetry does that count as 1 combination or two? In other words the case for 2 flagpoles and 1 red and 1 yellow flag, counts as 1 combination or 2 separate combinations, ie, if you switch/exchange flags from one pole to another. 🙄
    To answer your question, the two poles are distinguishable. So if we consider your scenario in which a red flag is on pole 1 and a yellow flag is on pole 2, that is a separate arrangement from a scenario in which a yellow flag is on pole 1 and a red flag is on pole 2. Hope that helps, sweetie pie.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 00:25
    I thought it was rather strange that you would offer up the wrong answer. 😲
    That's what I get for using a prog. 😵
  12. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 13:08
    4*572 + 22 = 2310 (not 2299).

And that's the correct answer. Good work.
    So it turns out I can solve a somewhat problem using combinations and permutations, but I can't add... go me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree