Very gingerly.
  3. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 00:25
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Very gingerly.
    Oh, he can afford to be a little more reckless than that.
  4. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 00:39
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    [fen]r4nk1/pppbR3/7p/8/8/1P6/PB4PP/6K1[/fen]

How should White continue?
    I was going to propose an answer, but I didn't want to be chastised as not being a novice and thus being a spoil sport. What would be your definition of chess novice?
  5. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 00:48
    Originally posted by The Plumber
    I was going to propose an answer, but I didn't want to be chastised as not being a novice and thus being a spoil sport. What would be your definition of chess novice?
    Bowmann
  6. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 01:00
    Originally posted by ark13
    Bowmann
    No, he is just a novice.
  7. Earth Prime
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 01:151 edit
    Rg7, then the king has to move, then he can take the bishop, then the king has to move, then Rg7, then the king has to move, then he can take the pawn, then the king has to move, then Rg7.... until he can take all the pawns and the rook on the far left..??!!

Yes I am a novice
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 01:49
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    [fen]r4nk1/pppbR3/7p/8/8/1P6/PB4PP/6K1[/fen]

How should White continue?
    Easy. 1.Rg7+ Kh8 2.Rg6+!!

And do it on every square on the g-file. Watch the opponent's eyes get wide when he realizes you can do it along the 7th rank too. Enjoy the torture!
  9. Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 02:11
    Excellent suggestion!

Though be careful not to repeat the position three times. Once you've captured the bishop on d7, go back to that g file plan for a few more moves. Etc.
  10. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 02:21
    Originally posted by Vandalizer
    Excellent suggestion!

Though be careful not to repeat the position three times. Once you've captured the bishop on d7, go back to that g file plan for a few more moves. Etc.
    There's no danger of that if you're capturing pieces.
  11. Earth Prime
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 15:12
    There's no danger of that if you're capturing pieces.
    I'd expect a 1700+ guy would know that one...
  12. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 16:04
    Originally posted by Coconut
    I'd expect a 1700+ guy would know that one...
    Well, me too. But his post seemed to be to the contrary. 😛
  13. Earth Prime
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 19:41
    Well, me too. But his post seemed to be to the contrary. 😛
    "FIDE rating of around 2100, I´m pretty crap. I can still beat your computer at this slow chess though, 😉. Well, if I can´t, MY computer can, heh heh."

From his profile. Perhaps the man is using some help....
  14. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 20:44
    Originally posted by Coconut
    "FIDE rating of around 2100, I´m pretty crap. I can still beat your computer at this slow chess though, 😉. Well, if I can´t, MY computer can, heh heh."

From his profile. Perhaps the man is using some help....
    Nah, I don't see any proof. Probably just poorly phrased. I don't think a cheat would come out and say it like that.
  15. Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Jul '05 09:25
    Dudes!!

I leave this thread for ten minutes (or however long it was) and all hell breaks loose! Or something.

Anyway, first up, the draw thing. I was just suggesting that you want to be careful about how many checks you give on the g file because every time the rook returns to g7 you'd be repeating. Of course with each piece you capture you can go back to checking on the g file again. But when you're not taking anything you'd best keep count.

As for my computer, it's got that smit.fraud damn thing at the moment, so I'm on a borrowed laptop. Actually, I see it has Fritz 8 on it or something, and Chessbase Something huge. Bags I don't play it. I know that whenever I go to chess sites I often find people obsessed with ratings. Actually, that's true for OTB chess too. Frankly, I don't care about them. They're useful for seedings in Swiss tournaments and for when there's grade prizes, but that's about it.

So I guess to want a cheat, you'd need to have the desire to see a big number after your name. Having a collection of games you knew were played by a computer isn't going to give anyone much satisfaction is it? I'm sure most of us prefer playing than watching a computer play. Although I also know that a fear of losing paralyses many players.

Oh well, that's just how internet chess I guess. I remember when I was playing on chess.net, and I beat some dude in a game of blitz. He instantly informed me that I was a cheat, and that he was going to report me. Sadly it seems you can't even joke about it anymore. A bit like joking with customs officers about drugs. If someone beats me I generally assume they played better. For those who do cheat, they'll always leave traces. But because I don't care about my rating, it won't fuss me anyway. Rant over.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree