1. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 19:34
    Originally posted by Jirakon
    I don't why there'd be a difference in England, but according to Merriam Webster it's pronounced "YEE-row", or "ZHEE-row", and it's definitely an ethnic sandwich:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gyro
    Listening to the audio there definition one definitely sounds like G-eye-row, but I agree with you about definition 2 (which is not common in the uk, as we usually call that kind of thing a "doner kebab" if its cooked on a rotating spit, and a" shish kebab" if it is cooked on a skewer).

I would understand gyro as short for gyrocompass, as in "The missile's flight is stabilised by electronic gyros"
    see:
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/search?searchType=dictionary&isWritersAndEditors=true&searchUri=All&q=gyro&_searchBtn=Search&contentVersion=WORLD
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 19:37
    The food spelled gyro is meat, lettuce and a sauce of some kind wrapped in a pita bread like thing. It's Greek.
  3. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 20:02
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The food spelled gyro is meat, lettuce and a sauce of some kind wrapped in a pita bread like thing. It's Greek.
    And a doner kebab is meat, lettuce, and a spicy sauce wrapped in a pita bread like thing. It's Turkish.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 15:08
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The food spelled gyro is spelled gyros, IME.

Richard
  5. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 18:40
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    The food spelled gyro is spelled gyros, IME.

Richard
    I Agree, so it doesn't sound like hero!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Oct '10 15:46
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Listening to the audio there definition one definitely sounds like G-eye-row, but I agree with you about definition 2 (which is not common in the uk, as we usually call that kind of thing a "doner kebab" if its cooked on a rotating spit, and a" shish kebab" if it is cooked on a skewer).

I would understand gyro as short for gyrocompass, as in "The missil ...[text shortened]... nary&isWritersAndEditors=true&searchUri=All&q=gyro&_searchBtn=Search&contentVersion=WORLD
    Gyro doesn't prononce like G-eye-row if you speak greek. More like G-ee-raw.

The correct turkish spelling of the kebab is Döner kebab.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 03:35
    IT IS TEH SHAWARMA
  8. Joined
    14 Nov '10
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 15:551 edit
    What's a biro? 😕

[/b]
    A ballpoint pen.

Or what my boss orders from the bartender after he's already had 4 of them.
  9. In Christ
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 08:14
    *know

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree