Game Mechanic Comp-prize!

Game Mechanic Comp-prize!

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
08 Jul 10

I don't know if anyone's interested, but I've been set the challenge of creating a paper RPG which includes a board, two things which are not normally compatible and seemingly impossible under the conditions set out below. Come up with a game mechanic for this, year's subscription to anyone that comes up with one good enough to use:

- 1 board, 4 character cards/pieces, D20, no other pieces.
- Grid based board such as this: http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic331461_md.jpg
- Characters have specific skills/character traits which cannot be changed.
- D20 must not be used for movement, only for events/resolution actions
- Game is set in modern office, must have individually achievable goal(s) for each player, though could be a race for each player to acheive a single win condiiton.
- Co-operation necessary, despite individual nature of win conditions.
- Emphasis is not on the boardgame side of things, where movement determines action, but on the traditional paper RPG side, where player choice determines action.
-Game must be completable in less than 2hrs.

At the very least, if someone comes up with a great idea I can work with I may consider the prize won, even if it isn't the mechanic itself; I'm stumped! Time is of the essence, brainiacs, so get to it!

S

Moves
08 Jul 10

I'll play devils advocate to any suggestions, to try and limit the need to actually try them, so I may try and shoot them down, even if I like them. I don't have any time for game testing.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirate™

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
08 Jul 10

Originally posted by Starrman
I don't know if anyone's interested, but I've been set the challenge of creating a paper RPG which includes a board, two things which are not normally compatible and seemingly impossible under the conditions set out below. Come up with a game mechanic for this, year's subscription to anyone that comes up with one good enough to use:

- 1 board, 4 chara ...[text shortened]... isn't the mechanic itself; I'm stumped! Time is of the essence, brainiacs, so get to it!
Modern office setting?

How about basing it around the idea of a merger between 2 companies - one company represents player characters, the other the evil NPC bad guys. Board is a typical office floor; meeting rooms, corridors, offices, break area etc... Characters are stereotypical office workers from different departments (eg: sales, IT, reception, accounts, etc...) with associated skills. Goal for each department is to get to a central point on the map like the boss' office to deliver some sort of information that stops them getting made redundant in the merger.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
09 Jul 10
1 edit

If it's a "paper RPG" there must be a game master. Right?

One character could be like a VP or something who has the power to order other players back to their office if he lands on them.

S

Moves
09 Jul 10

Originally posted by Daemon Sin
Modern office setting?

How about basing it around the idea of a merger between 2 companies - one company represents player characters, the other the evil NPC bad guys. Board is a typical office floor; meeting rooms, corridors, offices, break area etc... Characters are stereotypical office workers from different departments (eg: sales, IT, reception, ac ...[text shortened]... ffice to deliver some sort of information that stops them getting made redundant in the merger.
Whilst that is a good idea, unfortunately the setting must be a single company within which the players interact. The overall company success is of no importance, more influence on the day to day lives of the workers. Comedy is likely.

S

Moves
09 Jul 10
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
If it's a "paper RPG" there must be a game master. Right?

One character could be like a VP or something who has the power to order other players back to their office if he lands on them.
Not bad, perhaps you could develop that a bit? A GM could do that anyway, calling him a VP is a nice touch, but doesn't influence the game mechanic much.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Jul 10
1 edit

Cluedo type theme: 'Find the Mole' (and whack him).

To reach mole, Office Hero has to get through a bunch of gatekeepers (Dragon PA, Office Slags, Creative Types (shudder) ... )

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
09 Jul 10
2 edits

Originally posted by Starrman
Not bad, perhaps you could develop that a bit? A GM could do that anyway, calling him a VP is a nice touch, but doesn't influence the game mechanic much.
I didn't mean to say the VP was the GM. Those were two separate thoughts. I was thinking of a VP character sort of like Talisman had an Inquisitor who could send other characters to prison if he landed on them.

Another game to possibly model this one on is Heroquest. That one has a GM who plays by a specific set of rigid rules. Heroquest and Talisman seem to be good game models for this sort of thing. Cosmic Encounter is another one to look at.

So, do we have no GM, a Heroquest style GM, or a "paper RPG" e.g. D&D style GM with infinite power who does not actually play one of the characters?