1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Sep '11 02:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    why can't they agree to the obvious, 10 diamonds per kid?
    That's what I said, except adding they fence them and split the proceeds. No questions about comparative value.

We need some actual crooks to decide this.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 18:563 edits
    Originally posted by TomCr
    There is the additional problem, apparently not considered by some, that if less than 50% do not accept, the older brother is out, and the process starts again. This is why I disagree with 48,0,1,0,1. These are gangsters, and the problem allows for them to kick out the older brother, so the older brother should sacrifice himself to get anything at all. Cons y the most likely event is first round: reject, second round: reject, third round, accept.
    Except in the second round the second oldest brother can propose 48, 0, 0, 2 and the last brother should know that if he rejects this offer then he will either get 1 or zero because the third brother will propose 49, 0, 1 and like you said if he rejects this than he will get none so I believe that the first one will be 46, 0, 0, 1, 3 since if the second youngest brother votes no he knows that he will get zero and the youngest brother knows that two is the best he can get, as per earlier in the post, if he votes no so this will be accepted. The other two brothers get zero because they will reject almost any proposal anyway....

if anybody notices there is a pattern going on here.

This debunks your theory that the second to last is advantageous... it is always advantageous to go first as you can make sure to get votes by retrograde thinking.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 18:59
    Originally posted by JS357
    That's what I said, except adding they fence them and split the proceeds. No questions about comparative value.

We need some actual crooks to decide this.
    You are forgetting that they are greedy so they want the most they can get... it only makes sense that the oldest gets the most and still stays in the family.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 21:441 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You are forgetting that they are greedy so they want the most they can get... it only makes sense that the oldest gets the most and still stays in the family.
    Yes. Assuming traditional gangster family values, the eldest has priority unless the 4 others decide he is dangerously incompetent. But I'm basing my judgement on TV and movie depictions of gangster values, which say, the diamonds are not worth creating a grudge.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '11 22:31
    Originally posted by JS357
    Yes. Assuming traditional gangster family values, the eldest has priority unless the 4 others decide he is dangerously incompetent. But I'm basing my judgement on TV and movie depictions of gangster values, which say, the diamonds are not worth creating a grudge.
    Unless you're the Boss/Don then you can do anything you want. If it comes to down to "who's the next Boss?" then you can bet your best top hat that there will be many a grudge created.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 20:11
    If the alpha dog is not reasonable with how things are distributed, he will be killed later on. 48/0/1/0/1 is not gonna happen.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 21:11
    Fear keeps them loyal to me. The trick is not being hated. I treat my men good. But if I give too much, I'm not needed. I give just enough where they need me but don't hate me.
    ------------------------
    A Bronx Tale
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '11 22:17
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    Fear keeps them loyal to me. The trick is not being hated. I treat my men good. But if I give too much, I'm not needed. I give just enough where they need me but don't hate me.
    ------------------------
    A Bronx Tale
    That's probably realistic, given that Chas Palminteri based his story on his early life. His brothers expect him to take a fairly big piece, but not to play games with them, one against the other. But the scenario of the puzzle (voting) would not be likely to occur. The eldest would be assumed to decide unless he had already been "demoted."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree