1. Joined
    16 Jul '11
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 13:02
    5 greedy yet intelligent brothers (all different ages) have to take a decision of how they should divide 50 precious diamonds inherited from their gangster father, among themselves. They set a rule. The eldest brother will propose a solution and all (including the proposer) will vote 'yes' or 'no' for this. If the number of 'yes' is more than or equal to 50%, his solution will be accepted and division will happen according to his proposal. Otherwise, the solution will not be accepted and the proposing brother will be disowned by the family and the process will be repeated by the remaining family members. Assuming that everyone wants to stay with the family, how will the division happen?
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 13:341 edit
    Reveal Hidden Content
    48, 0, 1, 0, 1
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 16:471 edit
    Originally posted by smartarin
    5 greedy yet intelligent brothers (all different ages) have to take a decision of how they should divide 50 precious diamonds inherited from their gangster father, among themselves. They set a rule. The eldest brother will propose a solution and all (including the proposer) will vote 'yes' or 'no' for this. If the number of 'yes' is more than or equal to 5 ...[text shortened]... mbers. Assuming that everyone wants to stay with the family, how will the division happen?
    Reveal Hidden Content
    Our dad was a gangster. It sounds like we are too, or are willing to be. If left to me, I'd propose that we fence the rocks and split the proceeds; to build loyalty and minimize exposure.

Seems not to open. Select reply & quote to read, but don't reply.
  4. DonationAnthem
    The Ferocious Camel
    g1
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 17:51
    I agree with VelvetEars. Reveal Hidden Content
    If there are 2 left the 4th brother gets it all. So, when there are 3 left the 3rd brother says 49,0,1 and the last agrees because it gets him more diamonds. So, when there are 4 left the 2nd brother says 49,0,1,0 and the 4th brother agrees. Thus when there are 5 brothers the 1st brother says 48,0,1,0,1 and the 3rd and 5th brothers agree.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 21:56
    Maybe I've been watching too many mob movies, but nobody in that family is going to screw the rest.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 09:18
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    [hidden] 48, 0, 1, 0, 1[/hidden]
    But then the first brother wakes up with a horse's head.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 09:59
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Therein lies the gangster paradox...
  8. Standard memberTomCr
    woodpusher
    Cincinnati
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 19:271 edit
    5 greedy yet intelligent brothers (all different ages) have to take a decision of how they should divide 50 precious diamonds inherited from their gangster father, among themselves. They set a rule. The eldest brother will propose a solution and all (including the proposer) will vote 'yes' or 'no' for this. If the number of 'yes' is more than or equal to 5 ...[text shortened]... mbers. Assuming that everyone wants to stay with the family, how will the division happen?
    There is the additional problem, apparently not considered by some, that if less than 50% do not accept, the older brother is out, and the process starts again. This is why I disagree with 48,0,1,0,1. These are gangsters, and the problem allows for them to kick out the older brother, so the older brother should sacrifice himself to get anything at all. Consider that if the older brother is kicked out, then 50 diamonds are shared among 4 brothers, and, if no acceptable solution, than 50 diamonds shared among 3 brothers, and so on. The second youngest brother seems in the cat-bird's seat, as he can't be kicked out if he votes for his own solution (two brothers left, he is 50😵, and his vote becomes increasing more important if there is no solution. It is in the younger brothers' interest, vote no until they are guaranteed a large portion.
    The oldest brother is the most screwed, with the second youngest brother the most advantageous if the process gets to him. It wouldn't, of course.
    For example, if 4 brothers vote no on the first round, than the 4 have more for themselves. If in the next round, 3 brothers vote no, they have more for themselves. In the round with the three brothers, the third youngest brother will be wise to 25, 0, 25, up to 49,0,1 as if the youngest brother votes no, along with the second youngest brother, than in the next round the second youngest brother can propose 50,0 and still have 50%.
    So, I say the most likely event is first round: reject, second round: reject, third round, accept.
  9. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 20:5512 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    [hidden] Our dad was a gangster. It sounds like we are too, or are willing to be. If left to me, I'd propose that we fence the rocks and split the proceeds; to build loyalty and minimize exposure.[/hidden]

Don't put line returns in hidden it doesn't work
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 05:381 edit
    [hidden] Our dad was a gangster. It sounds like we are too, or are willing to be. If left to me, I'd propose that we fence the rocks and split the proceeds; to build loyalty and minimize exposure.[/hidden]

iamatiger, I don't think I put line returns in this.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 12:10
    iamatiger, I don't think I put line returns in this.
    Correct. It was the apostrophe that did the dastardly deed. You get:

Reveal Hidden Content
    this if you put
    newlines inside

while you get

Reveal Hidden Content
    this if you've got an apostrophe in it

but you can cure that if you escape the apostrophe with a backslash

Reveal Hidden Content
    so this\'un should work.

Richard
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 12:11
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    [hidden]this if you've got an apostrophe in it[/hidden]

[hidden]so this\'un should work.[/hidden]
    And the quote above should show how I did it.

Richard
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 15:41
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Correct. It was the apostrophe that did the dastardly deed. You get:

[hidden]this if you put
    newlines inside[/hidden]

while you get

[hidden]this if you've got an apostrophe in it[/hidden]

[hidden]so this\'un should work.[/hidden]

Richard
    Thanks.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Sep '11 01:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    No, that was in the Merlin movie🙂 He wakes up with a REAL horses head!
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Sep '11 01:03
    why can't they agree to the obvious, 10 diamonds per kid?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree