1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 23:461 edit
    1-2: What is the apothem of a regular heptagon with a side of 10 and an area that is equal to the area of a hexagon? -- The regular hexagon has a side of 12. (tough?)

3-4. What is needed to find the volume of a pyramid, slant height or height? What about a cone?

5. What is the formula you use to find the area of a rhombus?
  2. Going where needed.
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 02:583 edits
    Originally posted by Ramned
    1-2: What is the apothem of a regular heptagon with a side of 10 and an area that is equal to the area of a hexagon? -- The regular hexagon has a side of 12. ([b]tough?)

3-4. What is needed to find the volume of a pyramid, slant height or height? What about a cone?

5. What is the formula you use to find the area of a rhombus?[/b]
    1-2. well...area = apothem times perimeter divided by 2. so...

Area of this hexagon would be... (6) 1/2 * b * h of one triangle derived from a hexagon being 6 equplateral traingles emanating from one center point.

area of the hexagon is 374.12.

side of hept = 10 * 7 sides = 70 total units = P

AP/2 = Area = Area of hex.

AP/2 = 374.12

A(70)/2 = 374.12

35A = 374.12

Apothem = 374.12/35 = 10.6892278

(not tough at all)

3-4. To find the volume of a pyramid you need height from base to apex and area of the base. Slant height is used in finding surface area of a pyramid.

In a cone you need radius (to find the area of the base) and height.

5. area of a rhombus is bh. (base * height)
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 13:021 edit
    Originally posted by EinsteinMind
    1-2. well...area = apothem times perimeter divided by 2. so...

Area of this hexagon would be... (6) 1/2 * b * h of one triangle derived from a hexagon being 6 equplateral traingles emanating from one center point.

area of the hexagon is 374.12.

side of hept = 10 * 7 sides = 70 total units = P

AP/2 = Area = Area of hex.

AP/2 = 374.12

A( ...[text shortened]... radius (to find the area of the base) and height.

5. area of a rhombus is bh. (base * height)
    You partially missed 1-2, but you got the others.
    (Hint, did I say to round off?)
  4. Going where needed.
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 13:401 edit
    You partially missed 1-2, but you got the others.
    (Hint, did I say to round off?)
    You lose, Ramned!

10.6891[428571]

the [428571] has a bar on top of it because it is a repeating decimal!

(I just don't know how to put the bar on top of something. Sorry. 😳 )
  5. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 14:111 edit
    You lose, Ramned!

10.6891[428571]

the [428571] has a bar on top of it because it is a repeating decimal!

(I just don't know how to put the bar on top of something. Sorry. 😳 )
    That is still rounded! Go ahead, keep typing that pattern, but no matter how many times you do it, you will be rounding. I said not to round. I want the exact number, so decimal won't work 😵
  6. Going where needed.
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 17:282 edits
    That is still rounded! Go ahead, keep typing that pattern, but no matter how many times you do it, you will be rounding. I said not to round. I want the exact number, so decimal won't work 😵
    The exact number is 10 and 24/35. Thank you.
  7. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 17:38
    The exact number???

I already gave the exact number!!!

it's 374.12/35
    I think 374 12/35 would be proper, without the ".".
  8. Going where needed.
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 17:43
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    I think 374 12/35 would be proper, without the ".".
    The exact number is 10 + 24/35
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 17:491 edit
    It is not rounded, repeating decimals are exact numbers. The bar doesn't mean "keep writing out this string of numbers until your hand gets tired", it means "this string of numbers repeats an infinite number of times". As proof, try writing a number that fits between 0.[9] and 1.

EDIT: Borrowing EisteinMind's notation where 0.[9] = 0.99999...
  10. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 18:132 edits
    The exact number is 10 + 24/35
    Wrong.
    If you tell me that decimal with the bar over it, it is not the EXACT answer. There is a difference between exact and decimal notation. While you took the correct steps to solving the problem, you are not doing it in exact numbers.

Nobody has gotten 1/2 correct yet. But to hint, Mr. Einstein took the correct steps. No decimal answer is accepted on this problem.

Maybe this is a tougher problem after all!
  11. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 18:53
    Wrong.
    If you tell me that decimal with the bar over it, it is not the EXACT answer. There is a difference between exact and decimal notation. While you took the correct steps to solving the problem, you are not doing it in exact numbers.

Nobody has gotten 1/2 correct yet. But to hint, Mr. Einstein took the correct steps. No decimal answer is accepted on this problem.

Maybe this is a tougher problem after all!
    The question is flawed. You can't specify that the area of the heptagon is equal to the area of the hexagon AND specify the side length of the heptagon arbitrarily. For example, if you carry out the calculations using the side lengths provided, you find that the area of the hexagon is 216*SQRT(3), approximately equal to 374.12, and the area of the heptagon is 175/TAN(pi/7), approximately equal to 363.39.
  12. Going where needed.
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 20:461 edit
    Originally posted by PBE6
    The question is flawed. You can't specify that the area of the heptagon is equal to the area of the hexagon AND specify the side length of the heptagon arbitrarily. For example, if you carry out the calculations using the side lengths provided, you find that the area of the hexagon is 216*SQRT(3), approximately equal to 374.12, and the area of the heptagon is 175/TAN(pi/7), approximately equal to 363.39.
    Thank you, PB. I am trying to get an exact number but repeating decimals are indeed exact.

Plus you say that neither decimals nor fractions are exact.

What do you want Ramned? do you want to get cursed at? because that's what I'm about to do.
  13. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 20:53
    Thank you, PB. I am trying to get an exact number but repeating decimals are indeed exact.
    Agreed!
  14. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 21:372 edits

Plus you say that neither decimals nor fractions are exact.

What do you want Ramned? do you want to get cursed at? because that's what I'm about to do.
    The fraction you gave me was wrong and the repeating decimal you gave me was wrong! So maybe it isn't a repeating decimal. 10 + 24/35 is not correct. And neither is that repeating decimal you showed me.

So give the answer in radical form. That's what I've been trying to get at. I haven't been arguing over the fact that repeating decimals are not exact. Whatever decimal you gave me, I assure you was not right.
  15. Going where needed.
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 00:393 edits
    The fraction you gave me was wrong and the repeating decimal you gave me was wrong! So maybe it isn't a repeating decimal. 10 + 24/35 is not correct. And neither is that repeating decimal you showed me.

So give the answer in radical form. That's what I've been trying to get at. I haven't been arguing over the fact that repeating decimals are not exact. Whatever decimal you gave me, I assure you was not right.
    So it's 216 times the square root of three divided by 35.

Ok so the decimal was not right.

Damn you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree