Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 05 Oct '07 16:14
    You have 1, 3, 4 and 6
    Each number must be used once and once only.
    You can multiply, divide, add and subtract (though you don't have to use all of these).
  2. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    05 Oct '07 17:01 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by orangutan
    You have 1, 3, 4 and 6
    Each number must be used once and once only.
    You can multiply, divide, add and subtract (though you don't have to use all of these).
    (6/3)x1x4

    At one point in the solving process it reads:

    224 (once the mulitiplication signs are removed)

    Or if it really means" 24" instead of 224, then at one point it will read:

    2x4

    which is 24 with the multiplication symbols removed
  3. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    05 Oct '07 17:24
    Originally posted by uzless
    (6/3)x1x4

    At one point in the solving process it reads:

    224 (once the mulitiplication signs are removed)
    It's a pity this thread is not 'get to 8'

  4. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    05 Oct '07 17:28
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    It's a pity this thread is not 'get to 8'

    Is there another solution? I just made this one up
  5. 05 Oct '07 17:47
    (14-6)*3=24
  6. 05 Oct '07 21:56
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    (14-6)*3=24
    Nice try but you can't have '14'
    1,4,3 and 6 are the only numbers to work with. To get 14 you could add them all together 1+3+4+6 - but then you've used all the numbers up and are still 10 short of the goal.

    There is a solution, and it's purely mathematical. No trickery.

    Clue: Think fractions.
  7. 05 Oct '07 21:59
    Originally posted by uzless
    (6/3)x1x4

    At one point in the solving process it reads:

    224 (once the mulitiplication signs are removed)

    Or if it really means" 24" instead of 224, then at one point it will read:

    2x4

    which is 24 with the multiplication symbols removed
    I like the thinking - but this is just maths. There is no trickery with having to squint at the page or remove symbols.
  8. 05 Oct '07 22:43
    6/(1-3/4) = 24
  9. 05 Oct '07 23:32
    Originally posted by GregM
    6/(1-3/4) = 24
    Manifique!
  10. 05 Oct '07 23:50
    Originally posted by GregM
    6/(1-3/4) = 24
    Bingo.

    Well solved.