1. London
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 18:23
    the cheif of an island decided that there were too many females on his island and he wanted to stop the female population's growth and increase the growth of the male population. so he decides that families may try for one child, if it is a boy they can have another, and another until they get a girl. then they must stop. if the family have a girl first time then they must keep this child and have no more.

assuming that no families break the law what will have happened to the female and male populations on the island in 20 years time.

fred
  2. Joined
    28 Mar '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 18:45
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    the cheif of an island decided that there were too many females on his island and he wanted to stop the female population's growth and increase the growth of the male population. so he decides that families may try for one child, if it is a boy they can have another, and another until they get a girl. then they must stop. if the family have a girl first ...[text shortened]... at will have happened to the female and male populations on the island in 20 years time.

fred
    First of all it isn't a very smart chief. Who would argue with a population which contains more females?

To confirm his/hers stupidy the rule agains the female population-growth is having the opposite effect.

In 20 years time I don't know what happens (depands on the size of the group, birth rate, etc.) But if they keep this rule in forever. The MALE population will die out very quickly.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 19:24
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    the cheif of an island decided that there were too many females on his island and he wanted to stop the female population's growth and increase the growth of the male population. so he decides that families may try for one child, if it is a boy they can have another, and another until they get a girl. then they must stop. if the family have a girl first ...[text shortened]... at will have happened to the female and male populations on the island in 20 years time.

fred
    The question has already been discussed at length.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=18364
  4. In your face
    Moves
    31 Mar '05 20:01
    I think of all the babies born, half will still be boys and half girls. Having a boy or a girl will ot effect what the next off spring will be.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree