1. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    8776
    09 Aug '06 21:46
    Cathy has six pairs of black gloves and six pairs of brown gloves in her drawer. In complete darkness, how many gloves must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?
  2. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    117330
    09 Aug '06 21:561 edit
    Originally posted by JYD
    Cathy has six pairs of black gloves and six pairs of brown gloves in her drawer. In complete darkness, how many gloves must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?
    Three.

    Edit: Assuming that all the gloves can be worn on either the left hand or the right hand.
  3. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Joined
    17 Mar '05
    Moves
    1345
    09 Aug '06 22:33
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Three.

    Edit: Assuming that all the gloves can be worn on either the left hand or the right hand.
    Otherwise it would be thirteen, and she would find it quicker to turn on the light first.
  4. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    8776
    09 Aug '06 22:36
    True about the light, I mean sure you can grab 13 gloves to be sure you don't have 6 left brown and 6 left black ones but without turning on the lights you never know which to put on.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    10 Aug '06 06:57
    You can feel the difference of a right hand glove and a left hand glove in the dark.
    Left/right is not a problem. White/black is.
  6. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    3516
    10 Aug '06 07:52
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You can feel the difference of a right hand glove and a left hand glove in the dark.
    Left/right is not a problem. White/black is.
    then 8 you take out a left glove and you must pull out 7 right gloves to make sure at least 1 matches.
  7. Joined
    03 May '06
    Moves
    1886
    10 Aug '06 17:44
    If she's in the dark, no one will notice if she wears odd coloured gloves anyway 🙂
  8. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Joined
    17 Mar '05
    Moves
    1345
    10 Aug '06 22:59
    Originally posted by JYD
    ...but without turning on the lights you never know which to put on.
    That wasn't part of the problem. And so it isn't ours.
  9. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    All My Soldiers...
    tinyurl.com/y9ls7wbl
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    12 Aug '06 10:55
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Three.

    Edit: Assuming that all the gloves can be worn on either the left hand or the right hand.
    Umm...no. One could pull three gloves of the same color.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    12 Aug '06 11:11
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Umm...no. One could pull three gloves of the same color.
    But then you have a pair.
  11. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Joined
    20 Sep '04
    Moves
    16434
    12 Aug '06 11:21
    just pick up 2 .

    who cares if they match.

    If she needs gloves. she needs gloves.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    12 Aug '06 12:10
    Originally posted by JYD
    Cathy has six pairs of black gloves and six pairs of brown gloves in her drawer. In complete darkness, how many gloves must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match?
    What color were her shoes?
Back to Top