15 Aug '05 17:03
    Well hello, here is the first question: Who was Hercules's mother
  2. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 17:34
    Originally posted by Evil lord Sauron
    Not Hera, but Alcmene. His father was Amphitrion.
  3. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 18:31
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    His father was Amphitrion.
    I thought it was Zeus!?
  4. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 19:011 edit
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    I thought it was Zeus!?
    You may be right. The night he was conceived, Alcmene had intercourse bot with her husband (Amphytrion) and with Zeus, who had disguided himself as Amphitrion.

edit: corrected 'knight' (bad habit) into 'night'
  5. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 19:17

And where is the Second question...?
  6. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    15 Aug '05 19:17
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    You may be right. The night he was conceived, Alcmene had intercourse bot with her husband (Amphytrion) and with Zeus, who had disguided himself as Amphitrion.

edit: corrected 'knight' (bad habit) into 'night'
    You're playing too much chess, my friend 🙂
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 03:33
    Originally posted by Peachy

And where is the Second question...?
    Explain why both Helios and Apollo are known as "the Greek god of the Sun".
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 19:20
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Explain why both Helios and Apollo are known as "the Greek god of the Sun".
    Helios is the Greek god of the sun. He is the one that rides the chariot with firey
    horses across the sky. Apollo is more accurately known as the Greek god of light.
    Apollo is the only other god allowed to drive the chariot. Helios let his son, Phaeton (or
    Phaethon) drive the chariot once with disasterous results (the poor boy couldn't control
    the chariot and it went too high [freezing the earth] and too low [scorching it], until
    Zeus tossed a lightning bolt at him, killing him).

As the evolution of theology took place, Helios simply 'disappeared' and Apollo became
    the sun god by convenience. But they were, originally, two different gods with two different
    jobs/purposes.

Nemesio
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Aug '05 21:28
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Helios is the Greek god of the sun. He is the one that rides the chariot with firey
    horses across the sky. Apollo is more accurately known as the Greek god of [b]light
    Apollo is the only other god allowed to drive the chariot. Helios let his son, Phaeton (or
    Phaethon) drive the chariot once with disasterous results (the poor boy couldn't control ...[text shortened]... ce. But they were, originally, two different gods with two different
    jobs/purposes.

Nemesio[/b]
    Sounds good to me. I actually didn't really know the answer.

How about this: Define "hero" according to classical Greek mythology.
  10. Barad-Dur
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 19:50
    Demigod

Here's one, who was Athena's mother, how was Athena born, and what happend to her mother?
  11. Barad-Dur
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 19:53
    Demigod's were considered heroes, and sometimes so where the sons of kings.

Now who was Athena's mother, what happened to her, and how was Athena born?
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Aug '05 08:40
    Demigod's were considered heroes, and sometimes so where the sons of kings.

Now who was Athena's mother, what happened to her, and how was Athena born?
    I was looking for a human with one parent who was a god, but I am no longer sure that's the right answer.

Don't remember Athena's mother's name. Zeus ate either Athena or her pregnant mother and then when he cracked his head open somehow she came out of it.
  13. Barad-Dur
    Moves
    28 Aug '05 16:59
    Then it's either Heracles or Perseus

Athenas mother was called Metis, Zeus turned her into a fly and ate her, however Athena was born inside of Zeus's head (ouch), Zeus had a might headache, so Hephaestus cracked open his head, and out came Athena, dressed in shining armor (cliche)

next, Apollo had two children, one of tham was Asclepias, what happened to him, and who was his mother?
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Aug '05 20:07
    Then it's either Heracles or Perseus

Athenas mother was called Metis, Zeus turned her into a fly and ate her, however Athena was born inside of Zeus's head (ouch), Zeus had a might headache, so Hephaestus cracked open his head, and out came Athena, dressed in shining armor (cliche)

next, Apollo had two children, one of tham was Asclepias, what happened to him, and who was his mother?
    Achilles was the son of a godlike being; Thetis. Jason was not the offspring of a god. Theseus had two fathers apparently, and one was Poseidon (he was born of the mixed semen of the two fathers). I can't find who Bellerophon's or Odysseus' parents were.

I don't remember where I heard that definition of hero. I kind of liked it. Too bad it doesn't seem to be correct. 🙁
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Aug '05 21:58

Metis was Zeus's first wife. She was the goddess of prudence and wise judgement. He
    married her at a time of great strife, either during or just after the battle of the pantheon of
    gods with the titans (Cronus and friends). The marriage was one of utility, not passion.

Zeus didn't turn her into a fly; he tricked her into turning herself into one: they were playing
    the game 'what can you turn into' and they were going back and forth between various
    animals and when Zeus requested a fly and she turned he inhaled her.

This had the convenience of keeping her around -- she resided in his brain, continuing to
    give him wisdom and advice -- but now freed Zeus to marry Hera.

However, Metis was pregnant with Athena. The headaches that Zeus was having was
    from Metis's building of Athena's aegis (breastplate) which became her hallmark. She
    literally set up a blacksmith inside Zeus's skull and was banging away. When he couldn't
    take it anymore, he requested that Hephestus split open his head and out came Athena
    replete with armor, cape and spear.

Asciepias was the guy known as the first doctor. He had incredible healing powers which he
    learned from the centaur Chiron (whom, it is said, wasn't quite a centaur, which were known
    for their barbarism). However, he became arrogant and started raising people from the dead.
    This irritated Hades and, ultimately, Zeus struck him down with a lightning bolt. The cadecus --
    two intertwining snakes climbing up a staff -- was his symbol (I remember this because the
    Cadecus was the name of my high school yearbook).

I didn't know that Apollo was his father, so I looked it up. His mother was a mortal named
    Coronis. I recalled that she was killed, but not why: evidently, loving a god wasn't enough for
    her and she had an affair with someone named Ischys (about whom I knew nothing). A crow
    overheard about the affair and told Apollo who then told his sister, Artimis, to kill Coronis.
    Artimis torched her (which stained the crow's feathers black, which is why they are now black
    [aeteological explanation -- I love the Greeks!]). However, Apollo rescued the baby from the
    fire and gave him to Chiron.

Neato stuff.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree