Gross into fine

Gross into fine

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Jan 08

A grain flail.

R

Midlands

Moves
12 Jan 08

No.
The answer has no immediate link with grain.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
12 Jan 08

A riddle?

R

Midlands

Moves
12 Jan 08
1 edit

Correct!
Well done.

'Stares you in the face it does'
obviously, as you are reading the riddle.

'and will change gross into fine.'
as a gardener's riddle does

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
12 Jan 08

i like almost all of the other answers better than the "right one." there should be a penalty.

t

Moves
12 Jan 08

The answer "riddle" is more abstract than the other answers, which is why I like riddle better. However, I haven't heard of the term "gardener's riddle" before.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Jan 08

Originally posted by twilight2007
The answer "riddle" is more abstract than the other answers, which is why I like riddle better. However, I haven't heard of the term "gardener's riddle" before.
Me either.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
13 Jan 08

Originally posted by coquette
i like almost all of the other answers better than the "right one." there should be a penalty.
All right. Drop and give me twenty!

R

Midlands

Moves
13 Jan 08

Not necessarily belonging to a gardener, but most commonly so I would have thought.

from dictionary.com:

rid·dle2 /ˈrɪdl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rid-l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -dled, -dling, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to pierce with many holes, suggesting those of a sieve: to riddle the target.
2. to fill or affect with (something undesirable, weakening, etc.): a government riddled with graft.
3. to impair or refute completely by persistent verbal attacks: to riddle a person's reputation.
4. to sift through a riddle, as gravel; screen.
–noun
5. a coarse sieve, as one for sifting sand in a foundry.

Of course this riddle doesn't work if it is told to you as opposed to being read as it is no longer staring you in the face.

F

Moves
13 Jan 08

I've never heard of a riddle before. I've heard pf too riddle things with e.g. bullets. But never heard it used in conjunction with sieving. Pah!

Good one.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Jan 08

Originally posted by Roger007
Not necessarily belonging to a gardener, but most commonly so I would have thought.

from dictionary.com:

rid·dle2 /ˈrɪdl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rid-l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -dled, -dling, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to pierce with many holes, suggesting those of a sieve: to ridd ...[text shortened]... work if it is told to you as opposed to being read as it is no longer staring you in the face.
Oh, a thing which riddles something with holes. Usually used for automatic firearms in my experience, and not as a noun but as a verb.

R

Midlands

Moves
13 Jan 08

Indeed, for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Burgon-Ball-GBG-RD-Galvanised/dp/B0002BUZW0

I've got one in the shed as it happens. Perhaps it is a term used more in the UK?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
13 Jan 08

Originally posted by Roger007
Indeed, for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Burgon-Ball-GBG-RD-Galvanised/dp/B0002BUZW0

I've got one in the shed as it happens. Perhaps it is a term used more in the UK?
Maybe it's just because I don't garden.

F

Moves
13 Jan 08

I'm from the U,K and I never heard of it. Although I don't garden either...

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
13 Jan 08

ok, now i get it. giving the national origin or cultural reference for a clue would really be a good hint and help the puzzle.