Hats puzzle

Hats puzzle

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Oct 05
2 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Xanthos is right. Your solution is utterly false.
Back guy says "black", and we've decided that black means "I can see an odd number of white hats". I'm next to guess. If I can see and odd number of white hats in front of me then I know my hat must be black If I can see an even number of white hats in front of me then I know my hat must be white.

See?

Virak is very clever. No funny voices needed.

Fetofs also sent the right answer to my puzzle by PM, well done Fetofs!

V

Moves
10 Oct 05

Just to illustrate via an example for anyone who disagrees. Say the hat colors are from back to front.
WWBBWBBWWWB
The back guy sees 5 white hats so he says his hat is black. This is wrong so he loses out. Can't be helped. The second guy sees 4 white hats and realising that 4 is even think well the only way the guy behind me could see an odd number of white hats is if I have a white hat.
The 3rd guy says number 2 has a white hat and their are an odd number of white hats between numbers 2 and front. I see 4 white hats so counting number 2 I know of 5 white hats, gee I must have a black hat.(If I had a white hat then thier would be 6 white hats and 6 is even). Etc

Iamatiger thank for the generalisation.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
10 Oct 05

Originally posted by Virak
Just to illustrate via an example for anyone who disagrees. Say the hat colors are from back to front.
WWBBWBBWWWB
The back guy sees 5 white hats so he says his hat is black. This is wrong so he loses out. Can't be helped. The second guy sees 4 white hats and realising that 4 is even think well the only way the guy behind me could see an odd number of white ...[text shortened]... then thier would be 6 white hats and 6 is even). Etc

That makes sense now. The leap of logic was just brushed over in your answer and I didn't make the connection.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
10 Oct 05

Originally posted by Virak
WWBBWBBWWWB
The back guy sees 5 white hats so he says his hat is black. This is wrong so he loses out. Can't be helped. The second guy sees 4 white hats and realising that 4 is even think well the only way the guy behind me could see an odd number of white ...[text shortened]... then thier would be 6 white hats and 6 is even). Etc

Ahh. Clever.