Help with composing something

Help with composing something

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
09 Jul 08

I've been working on this on and off and I can never get past one hurdle. The stip is white to play and not mate in 2. Assuming an eventual position where the black king cannot move, then I quite like the fact that in the above left hand side of the board, the king cannot move because check can only be blocked with the queen which in turn has to be taken checkmate, and same with the pawn push.

d

Moves
09 Jul 08
1 edit

As for the right hand side I've been trying things resembling this:

(though obviously not that, it's just an example) though they all have nasty mates in 1, which I'm trying to avoid, or not very nice solutions. I was thinking the key could play on diagonal queen captures but it's difficult to keep that diagonal open... ah well.
Please help 🙂

h

Moves
09 Jul 08
5 edits

If I understand correctly, all White moves (except one) should result in a forced Queen move that gives check simultaneously, and the only way to stop check is by taking and thereby forcing mate?

Swiss hopefully will be ready to provide a proof game to prove this position is legal.

edit 15: never mind, it seems I get the task after all

d

Moves
13 Jul 08

every move should lead to a mate in two (not necessarily by queen capture) apart from one. Your suggestion does fit what I'm aiming for, but isn't especially nice... I've been working on this for quite a while this weekend and still go nothing too nice. It must be possible.