1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 17:06
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You are of course perfectly right.

In any sport on the moon surface, one have to take low grav into consideration. It is possible to take a match of table tennis, but it will be boringly slow, or else you will miss the table altogether. In zero grav table tennis it is impossible.

I would prefer a good sound game of chess in space. May I challenge you?
    I don't think table tennis would be exactly impossible but you would have to modify your swing, I imagine you would need to play the game higher up from the board so as to hit with more of a down angle but then your reaction would have to be taken into account.
    Chal me, we can have a go. BTW I see you are from Sweden. I have a Swedish daughter in law, from Gotenburg. I entered one of her songs in the music competition, don't know if you got around to listening to the entries, she was in the extra division. Not sure if the link is still up. Ask Starrman if it is if you are interested. She has an incredible voice and its a Swedish lullably she sings, etherically beautiful.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 17:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I don't think table tennis would be exactly impossible but you would have to modify your swing, I imagine you would need to play the game higher up from the board so as to hit with more of a down angle but then your reaction would have to be taken into account.
    Chal me, we can have a go. BTW I see you are from Sweden. I have a Swedish daughter in law, from ...[text shortened]... sted. She has an incredible voice and its a Swedish lullably she sings, etherically beautiful.
    Sorry I don't know the english term for it, eh, when you start a ball, you have to let the ball bounce at your table half, go over the net, and then bounce at you opponents table half before he returns it. This is not possible in zero grav. In sixth grav it is possible but painfully slow.

Yes, I'm from Sweden, from Göteborg as a matter of fact! Perhaps I know her, or at least heard her singing. Göteborg is not very big city, you know. When you meet her, say hello from Fabian, she will probably know...

And if you visit Göteborg, anytime, I challenge you at Guldhedstornet where I often sit and sip a good cup of coffee and a apple pie with vanilla sauce and some ice cream. You just have to taste it, in full gravity, and 360 view over the city from above. 64 squares between us and the life is fulfilled!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:20
    Sorry I don't know the english term for it, eh, when you start a ball, you have to let the ball bounce at your table half, go over the net, and then bounce at you opponents table half before he returns it. This is not possible in zero grav. In sixth grav it is possible but painfully slow.

Yes, I'm from Sweden, from Göteborg as a matter of fact! Perhaps ...[text shortened]... avity, and 360 view over the city from above. 64 squares between us and the life is fulfilled!
    Sounds great! I would LOVE to visit, Charlotte goes back about once every two years, her parents and a couple of sisters are still there. Isn't that a co-incidence, you from the exact same town! I'll ask her if its alright to give you her last name, maybe you could phone her folks and say hi indirectly from Charlotte! BTW here near Philly there is a Swedish museum/cultural center and she took us there for the annual Saint Lucia festival, it was beautiful, great costumes.
    I see what you mean about having to bounce the ball. Ok, Quick modification: make a board above the table board so you can bounce the ball off your side and it hits the upper board and proceeds to bounce back down to the other side. Hows that for a quick upgrade?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 18:49
    Sounds great! I would LOVE to visit, Charlotte goes back about once every two years, her parents and a couple of sisters are still there. Isn't that a co-incidence, you from the exact same town! I'll ask her if its alright to give you her last name, maybe you could phone her folks and say hi indirectly from Charlotte! BTW here near Philly there is a Swedish ...[text shortened]... upper board and proceeds to bounce back down to the other side. Hows that for a quick upgrade?
    Another upgrade is to place a big fan in the 'roof' above the tennis table so the ball forces 'down' to the table and then can have a more 'natural' ball path.

Tomorrow I will start asking every Charlotte I know in Göteborg if she knows any Son House from Philly. Then I give her a big hug from you, okay?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 19:40
    Another upgrade is to place a big fan in the 'roof' above the tennis table so the ball forces 'down' to the table and then can have a more 'natural' ball path.

Tomorrow I will start asking every Charlotte I know in Göteborg if she knows any Son House from Philly. Then I give her a big hug from you, okay?
    Well that won't help since Charlotte lives near Philly now! Good luck on that one! Did you see the post where I suggested a porous tennis court that would push air up from below to simulate moon conditions in a tennis game? Great minds stink alike!🙂
  6. Joined
    05 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 19:47
    a good cup of coffee and a apple pie with vanilla sauce
    That sounds really, really, really, good.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 20:13
    Originally posted by SJ247
    That sounds really, really, really, good.
    I'll second that, except I'll get a nice cup of Earl Grey.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '06 20:23
    I'll second that, except I'll get a nice cup of Earl Grey.
    A nice cup of Earl Gray will be delivered. Be sure of that.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 00:29
    Well it seems NASA is getting into the game, so to speak🙂 here is the link:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/04/11/space.station.golf.ap/index.html
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 03:28
    Yeah, thats right, for kids. I played it when I was 6 or 7, same age group, funny don't remember the rules but when you get to be 97...
    you're 97?!?!
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 03:51
    Originally posted by Zelinda
    you're 97?!?!
    hehe, don't I wish.....
  12. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 07:28
    You are of course perfectly right.

In any sport on the moon surface, one have to take low grav into consideration. It is possible to take a match of table tennis, but it will be boringly slow, or else you will miss the table altogether. In zero grav table tennis it is impossible.
    I would think that table tennis would be very possible in a zero gravity environment. The key would simply be to use lots of top spin.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 02:59
    hehe, don't I wish.....
    why would you want to be 97?

wait... you mean YOU'RE OLDER THAN 97???
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 05:09
    Originally posted by Zelinda
    why would you want to be 97?

wait... you mean YOU'RE OLDER THAN 97???
    Hehe, gotcha! Not quite, still about 40 years shy of that date but I hope to be around and pizzing people off still when I am!
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '06 05:29
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    I would think that table tennis would be very possible in a zero gravity environment. The key would simply be to use lots of top spin.
    I am not an expert on it but it might work, certainly spin would effect the ball in zero gravity as much as high gravity, maybe more. It might
    take more energyt to play that way, don't know. I guess the rebound problem could be taken care of by magnetic boots or velcro though.
    With both players aiming in opposite directions their combined torque would cancel each other out so you wouldn't be attempting to impart an unwanted spin to a space station!
    What if the table tennis ball were to be an electret? You know, permentant electric field like in most small microphones nowadays,
    with a positive field on the ball and a negative field on the table, it could compensate for zero gravity so maybe EVERY shot wouldn't have to include spin. That kind of technology is already in use BTW, both in my world of Ion Implanters and Reactive Ion etchers for silicon wafers made into computer chips and such and in a smaller device, there is a kind of printer that just has a movable pen with an X and Y drive and a Z drive to lift the pen off the paper, Hewlett Packard has one that uses an electric field to hold the paper down on the platen so it sticks down and doesn't move around, the same thing is used to hold down a silicon wafer in those machines I mentioned, electric fields can develop a nice force for such things so maybe a static negative charge on the table vs a positive electric charge on the ball would simulate gravity, what do you think?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree