1. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 19:59
    as the earths magnetis gauss dwindles lower and lower,organisms grow smaller and smaller, yet our devices and their increments of physical measure stay the same. so if i buy an acre of land which is 200ft square and ten thousand years from now humans are only a third as big as they are now, wont that mean that my land will grow in size?...furthermore if we continue to shrink wont the earth actually have more room and more space in which to populate it?isnt the size in which we build things directly related to how big we are?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 20:35
    Originally posted by warriorofgod
    as the earths magnetis gauss dwindles lower and lower,organisms grow smaller and smaller, ...
    Why do you think that?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 21:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Why do you think that?
    Maybe he thinks we (the earth) ends up like mars, smaller, no or little magnetic field left? All weel and gud but we won't get smaller, our expanded technological prowess will allow us to keep the field going forever. Like a 40,000 Km diameter coil (around the earth's equator)
    fed with a few terawatts of room temperature superconducting energy
    generates a field more than enough to keep the earths' field going.
    We don't get smaller, but why would you think that anyway?
    And it wouldn't happen in 10,000 years, more like 3 BILLION years.
    Its been going strong for almost 5 billion years now and it aint slowing down THAT fast! We would have a lot more problems than the earth's magnetic field to worry about in that time frame, like the sun bulking up in size to almost include the earth in its outer atmosphere, THAT is a problem that would kill us long before the lack of magnetic fields would. But if you are postulating a concept where the earth keeps getting smaller for some reason, the land would get smaller and you would get smaller seems to me to be a wash. I thought the earth was smaller a billion years ago than it is now because of the the expansion of the universe but it was pointed out in an article of cosmological myths that the earth stays the same size but the whole universe would get smaller around it, the solar system would not change an inch. So how is this shrinking effect supposed to come about?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 05:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Maybe he thinks we (the earth) ends up like mars, smaller, no or little magnetic field left?
    If he thinks that way, he is dead wrong.

Neutron stars are very small objects (some 20 km across) but with a ***very*** strong magnetic field.

But let's hear his own version of explanation, please.
  5. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 12:40
    ok i answered yours first because you were the snappiest answer in the group. read some books and youll realize that back in the days of the early dinosaur, the earths magnetic gauss was around 7.0g, now it is around 0.6g. im not sure that those in this room accept the fact that the magnetic field directly relates to our size. In the dinosaur age mosquitos used to be as big as your beagle Fido. i wasnt asking you weather i had my facts straight. i was asking if SINCE we ARE getting smaller (and humor me if you dont believe me ,k, thanks.) , does our system of measurement have to like wise shrink with us and if so doesnt that make the world get bigger?
  6. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 12:45
    i was saying that organisms are shrinking, and the earth is staying the same size. they are dude check it out. anyways this is sort of a physical and psychological question at the same time. if we shrink, our perception of the world will be that everything will be getting bigger TO US.i.e. from our point of view.if you are only 3 feet tall are you going to build houses like we see today.wont they shrink? nevermind
  7. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 13:591 edit
    ok i answered yours first because you were the snappiest answer in the group. read some books and youll realize that back in the days of the early dinosaur, the earths magnetic gauss was around 7.0g, now it is around 0.6g. im not sure that those in this room accept the fact that the magnetic field directly relates to our size. In the dinosaur age mosqu ...[text shortened]... of measurement have to like wise shrink with us and if so doesnt that make the world get bigger?
    Your bizarre logic is instantly punctured by two words:

BLUE WHALE

Also, the average human height has been increasing in recent times.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Apr '06 15:49
    ok i answered yours first because you were the snappiest answer in the group. read some books and youll realize that back in the days of the early dinosaur, the earths magnetic gauss was around 7.0g, now it is around 0.6g. im not sure that those in this room accept the fact that the magnetic field directly relates to our size. In the dinosaur age mosqu ...[text shortened]... of measurement have to like wise shrink with us and if so doesnt that make the world get bigger?
    Well maybe YOU should read some books before you conclude it was a diminished magnetic field causing smaller sizes. The real reason things were bigger then was the atmospheric percentage of oxygen was a lot higher back 200 million years ago. It has steadily gone down since then. Also like the guy just behind me says, Whales are up to one hundred feet long RIGHT now so at least one animal alive now
    is larger than the dinos.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 07:26
    Our system of measurement has it's bases in things that are not human; for example, "the metre is defined as equal to the length of the path travelled by light in absolute vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter
  10. Joined
    13 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 23:411 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If he thinks that way, he is dead wrong.

Neutron stars are very small objects (some 20 km across) but with a ***very*** strong magnetic field.

But let's hear his own version of explanation, please.
    are they not black holes?

edit- shut up, course it's not. sorry, ignore!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 20:27
    The main reason oraganisms were larger years ago is O2 levels were much higher.
  12. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '06 21:451 edit
    i was saying that organisms are shrinking, and the earth is staying the same size. they are dude check it out. anyways this is sort of a physical and psychological question at the same time. if we shrink, our perception of the world will be that everything will be getting bigger TO US.i.e. from our point of view.if you are only 3 feet tall are you going to build houses like we see today.wont they shrink? nevermind
    Can you point out your sources for this theory, I've never heard it mentioned before...

To compare the current crop of animals on the earth to dinosaurs and from that deduce that 'organisms are getting smaller' is to ignore the wider geological timeframe, surely? In the grand scheme of things, that timeframe represents only a miniscule fraction of the earths lifespan - a very small window of existence, if you will.

If we take a much larger window (a veritable patio by comparison) and we were to look at the first self replicating molecules in the 'primordial soup' and compare them to dinosaurs we could say that organisms are getting bigger as the years progress.

If we took it further and compared these self replicating molecules to humans, we could say that life started small, got really bigger, then got a little bit smaller again, then continued on the upward trend again.
  13. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 11:43
    Where has Warrior of God gone? I was looking forward to arguing that one out for a bit. then I realised he might have been a fundamentalist religious type, in which case there would have been no place for rational debate.
  14. cigarette box
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 13:06
    I dont know if your theory is correct or proven; BUT, even if this in fact the case, it still does not really hold any water to the fact that the world in our eyes is growing. Because since the amount of people being born a day will "shrink" the world at a much faster rate than the theory that humans are getting smaller.
  15. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 14:39
    Originally posted by RedDevil4Life
    I dont know if your theory is correct or proven;
    Don't think it's either to be honest. I think he's taken two individual observations and assumed some causal link between the two.

Seems to have vanished anyway, so maybe it's a moot point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree