Hi how do mate witha rook and the king

Hi how do mate witha rook and the king

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
01 Feb 03

the king have to be in a line without can move to another one and then mate with the kind

and RedHotTed

Red Hot Rebel Clan

Moves
01 Feb 03

The opponents king has to be on an outside rank. Your king needs to be 2 squares further in ie: 1 square between the 2 kings. The rook then moves to the same rank as the opponent's king - check mate!

Rhymester

C

Moves
16 Feb 03

I still cant see how this is possible - can someone give a layout of a check mate scenario where one player only has a rook and a king

RHP Member No.16

Moves
16 Feb 03
1 edit

Originally posted by Cheeky_Steve
I still cant see how this is possible - can someone give a layout of a check mate scenario where one player only has a rook and a king
White king on e1, Black king on e3, black rook moves to a1,b1,c1,g1 or h1. Checkmate.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
17 Feb 03
1 edit

Originally posted by Cheeky_Steve
Here's a link to my first game at RHP, and is maybe an example even though I still had a few other pieces, but the rook and king are used here to give checkmate.

http://www.timeforchess.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=18

regards, Marc

l
Free Thinker

New York City

Moves
17 Feb 03

Originally posted by allhumanVM
the king have to be in a line without can move to another one and then mate with the kind
Yeah, that one is a pain. It's certainly possible, but it's easy to stalemate if you aren't careful!

-mike

z
Banned

Banned

Moves
19 Feb 03

here is the game id number of an interesting game with the king-rook mate: 131799

l
Ray

Red Hot Rebels Clan

Moves
08 Mar 03

That is a very long game. A good player could run you around for 40 moves

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
28 Mar 03

First off, lets start with

White King on g2
Black King on f4
Black Rook on b3

In this position White is almost forced to the corner. If white moves king to f2 the rook can force him into mate sooner. Grab your board, or use Winboard and see the Mate with a King and Rook for yourself ass follows:

[Event "Mate"]
[Site "My dumbputer"]
[Date "2003.03.28"]
[Round "-"]
[White "White"]
[Black "Black"]
[Result "0-1"]
[FEN "8/8/8/8/5k2/1r6/6K1/8 w - - 0 1"]
[SetUp "1"]

{--------------
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . k . .
. r . . . . . .
. . . . . . K .
. . . . . . . .
white to play
--------------}
1. Kh2 Kg4 2. Kg2 Rb2+ 3. Kf1 Kf3 4. Ke1 Ke3 5. Kd1 Kd3 6. Kc1 Rg2 7. Kb1
Kc3 8. Ka1 Kb3 9. Kb1 Rg1#
{Black mates} 0-1

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
29 Mar 03

Originally posted by Phlabibit
First off, lets start with

White King on g2
Black King on f4
Black Rook on b3

In this position White is almost forced to the corner. If white moves king to f2 the rook can force him into mate sooner. Grab your board, or use Winboard and see the Mate with a King and Rook for yourself ass follows:

[Event "Mate"]
[Site "My dumbputer"]
[D ...[text shortened]... 1 Kf3 4. Ke1 Ke3 5. Kd1 Kd3 6. Kc1 Rg2 7. Kb1
Kc3 8. Ka1 Kb3 9. Kb1 Rg1#
{Black mates} 0-1

correct me if i'm wrong, but the only combinations that cannot mate a king on his own are two knights, a singlw knight or a single bishop. everything else can. two bishops can, a knight and a bishop can (although this is extremly hard...), a rook can, and a queen can(😲)

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
30 Mar 03

I think you are right, although I would consider my self VERY LUCKY if I pulled a Mate off with just 2 Bishops and a King! Also, perhaps the 2 Knights could do it if the loan King made mistakes. 🙄

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
30 Mar 03

I think you are right, although I would consider my self VERY LUCKY if I pulled a Mate off with just 2 Bishops and a King! Also, perhaps the 2 Knights could do it if the loan King made mistakes. 🙄
2 bishops is a definate mate (http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=149920), but i don't think 2 knights is. but yeah, maybe if they made a mistake...

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
30 Mar 03

Originally posted by genius
2 bishops is a definate mate (http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=149920), but i don't think 2 knights is. but yeah, maybe if they made a mistake...
Even after looking I would still consider myself lucky to pull the mate off with 2 bishops and a king... Especially from that start position you used. I just don't have it memorized as well as the Rook and King one (yet).

Any time you want to set up a strange position feel free to invite me... Or even a game if you have time in your busy chess schedule. I am good for a move or 3 a day.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
30 Mar 03

Even after looking I would still consider myself lucky to pull the mate off with 2 bishops and a king... Especially from that start position you used. I just don't have it memorized as well as the Rook and King one (yet).

Any time you want to set up a strange position feel free to invite me... Or even a game if you have time in your busy chess schedule. I am good for a move or 3 a day.
if and when i get an opening, i shall send one over!

MT

Moves
06 Apr 03

Originally posted by genius
if and when i get an opening, i shall send one over!
nice one genius