1. Joined
    24 Mar '03
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 04:04
    Originally posted by allhumanVM
    the king have to be in a line without can move to another one and then mate with the kind
    I don't belive that somebody asked the question - how to make with king and rook - he doesn't belong here
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 14:27
    Originally posted by suneclipse
    I don't belive that somebody asked the question - how to make with king and rook - he doesn't belong here
    Who, allhumanVM? What? Eh??
  3. Ireland
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 16:05
    bishop, knight + king vs king is a forced mate in 30 moves aprox from any initial start position

the key to doing the mate is the knight moves which follow a set pattern

you can do a search on the net and it will show you how.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Apr '03 16:34
    Originally posted by genius
    correct me if i'm wrong, but the only combinations that cannot mate a king on his own are two knights, a singlw knight or a single bishop. everything else can. two bishops can, a knight and a bishop can (although this is extremly hard...), a rook can, and a queen can(😲)
    ...a knight and a bishop can (although this is extremly hard...)

I bet!

😕
  5. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    20 Nov '03 06:396 edits
    Originally posted by genius
    2 bishops is a definate mate (http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=149920), but i don't think 2 knights is. but yeah, maybe if they made a mistake...
    a small clarification:
    two bishops + king = mate if the bishops are not on the same color!

obviously, if they travel on the same color, there is no mate no matter how many of them you have!
    i used to be noted for converting pawns into bishops in a dead-won position and mating with the bishops. mate with just two bishops is not that difficult, and the way the work together to cut off the king is artistic.
    my favorite checkmate positon was: 4k3/4b3/4b3/4b3/4b3/2K1b3/4b3/8. it was against a nun many years ago. a diagram of it is at
    http://home.graffiti.net/naked.driver:graffiti.net/Pictures/Chess/6_bishops_w.jpg .
    and while king and two knights cannot force mate, king and bishop and knight (but it's tough), and king and three knights can force mate.
    incidentally, the least material difference necessary to force checkmate is the double exchange (two rooks vs two minor pieces).
    i don't remember where i read that.
    by the way, i doubt if king + rook vs king will go longer than fifteen moves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree