1. Starbucks
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 04:40
    A "Wise King" devised a contest to see who would receive the Princess hand in marriage.

The Princess was put in a 50x50 foot carpeted room. Each of her four suitors were put in one corner of the room with a small box to stand on. The first one to touch the Princess hand would be the winner and become the new King.

The rules of the test were that the contestants could not walk over the carpet, cross the plane of the carpet, or hang from anything; nor could they use anything but their body and wits (i.e. no magic or telepathy, nor any items such as ladders, block and tackles, etc.).

One suitor figured out a way and married the Princess and became the new King.

How did he figure it out?
  2. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 04:48
    Originally posted by name2invalid
    A "Wise King" devised a contest to see who would receive the Princess hand in marriage.

The Princess was put in a 50x50 foot carpeted room. Each of her four suitors were put in one corner of the room with a small box to stand on. The first one to touch the Princess hand would be the winner and become the new King.

The rules of the test were that t ...[text shortened]... gured out a way and married the Princess and became the new King.

He was charming to the princess and asked her to come over? They he touched her hand, without ever moving.

Later he used this same techinique to get her to bring beer and chips from the kitchen and as he put it 'deal with the laundry dear'.

I don't think he was a much loved king.
  3. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 04:58

The rules of the test were that t ...[text shortened]... gured out a way and married the Princess and became the new King.

Rolled up the carpet as he went?
  4. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 07:04
    I would go with Gastel on this one - it was my first instict as well.

Other than that, it does not say he needs to touch her hand with his hand, and he just may be, well, endowed.
  5. Starbucks
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 09:07
    Originally posted by Gastel
    He was charming to the princess and asked her to come over? They he touched her hand, without ever moving.

Later he used this same techinique to get her to bring beer and chips from the kitchen and as he put it 'deal with the laundry dear'.

I don't think he was a much loved king.
    yes
  6. Starbucks
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 09:08
    Originally posted by Alcra
    I would go with Gastel on this one - it was my first instict as well.

Other than that, it does not say he needs to touch her hand with his hand, and he just may be, well, endowed.
    well endowed! haha..
  7. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 13:37
    he leaned on the edge of the box until it rolled over if he was agile enough he could stay on top of it.
  8. Starbucks
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 14:28
    Originally posted by aginis
    he leaned on the edge of the box until it rolled over if he was agile enough he could stay on top of it.
    No, Gastel already had the right answer..
    The successful suitor simply asked the Princess to walk over to where he stood, and to touch his hand!
  9. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 15:16
    The successful suitor simply asked the Princess to walk over to where he stood, and to touch his hand!
    and why would the princess agree?
    my solution allows the suitor to accomplish the task without help.
  10. Starbucks
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 15:35
    and why would the princess agree?
    my solution allows the suitor to accomplish the task without help.
    "nor could they use anything but their body and wits (i.e. no magic or telepathy, nor any items such as ladders, block and tackles, etc.). "
  11. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:02
    "nor could they use anything but their body and wits (i.e. no magic or telepathy, nor any items such as ladders, block and tackles, etc.). "
    the box was given to them in the problem.
  12. Starbucks
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:15
    they were allowed to stand on the box, but cannot use it to get to the princess. They must use their minds and body only. Using the box meaning "it" being the key factor to getting to her. Your solution called for the box to be rolled and somehow still staying on the box while not touching the carpet at the same time.. while that is using his wits it is still also using the box. In the puzzle it didnt state that the princess had to stay in the middle.. she was free to roam the carpet. It makes sense that she would be the one to have to walk over to the edge of it to touch the man's hand. though yours did make sense had that one part in the puzzle been omitted.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:30
    Why wouldn't they all call to her?

In spite of the thread title, there isn't much for the suitors to 'figure out'. The princess probably just goes and picks the one she finds most attractive.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:49
    The rules of the test were that the contestants could not walk over the carpet, cross the plane of the carpet, or hang from anything; nor could they use anything but their body and wits (i.e. no magic or telepathy, nor any items such as ladders, block and tackles, etc.).
  15. Starbucks
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:54
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Why wouldn't they all call to her?

In spite of the thread title, there isn't much for the suitors to 'figure out'. The princess probably just goes and picks the one she finds most attractive.
    Maybe, then, the puzzle should have made the princess Blindefolded. Since being blinded does not put a restraint on movement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree