1. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 13:08
    Can anyone teach me how to post a board on here for the purpose of posing a puzzle? I'm seeing a 'insert board from FEN' as a possible option here, and I gues it must be there I should start. But when I click on that option, it says here to enter the FEN... I don't know what that is.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 13:301 edit
    Have you fond the link "Insert board from FEN"? Thats how you do it.

But what is a FEN? It's a string that describes the board.
    How to cunstruct it? How does it work? How do you find a FEN for a particular board?

If it is a game of your own, find it in your "Game Page" and click "Info" on the same line as the game you're interested in.
    There you can click "Get FEN". From there you copy the FEN-string and paste it in your posting at "Insert board from FEN".

Is it clearer now?
  3. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 13:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Have you fond the link "Insert board from FEN"? Thats how you do it.

But what is a FEN? It's a string that describes the board.
    How to cunstruct it? How does it work? How do you find a FEN for a particular board?

If it is a game of your own, find it in your "Game Page" and click "Info" on the same line as the game you're interested in.
    There you c ...[text shortened]... tring and paste it in your posting at "Insert board from FEN".

Is it clearer now?
    OK... but what if it's not any of the games I played on here? It's just a position that I want to set up?... Is there anyway to go about it?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 16:31
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    OK... but what if it's not any of the games I played on here? It's just a position that I want to set up?... Is there anyway to go about it?
    Try "New Games" -> "Advanced Options" -> "Play from set piece" and you have a wonderful tool to create FEN-strings from a board.
  5. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 20:45
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Try "New Games" -> "Advanced Options" -> "Play from set piece" and you have a wonderful tool to create FEN-strings from a board.
    good god no.

see the FAQ for details. In general
    starting from row 8 left to right type as follows KQRBNP for white piece kqrbnp for black piece and 1 for a blank square insert a / at the end of the row. if you have multiple 1's in a row you can add them (e.g. 111=3). thus "rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR" is the starting position.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree