1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 May '08 07:03
    The first one who came up with the correct number of apples was *** Diapason *** who was kind enought to mail me the answer, in order not to spoil the fun for the rest of you. Well done!

Yes, you're right. The minimal solution is 946, and can be calculated with the Chinese Remainder Theorem as given by Dejection.
    There are more solutions, of course, I didn't explicitly ask for the minimum solution, sorry for that.
  2. Fichtekränzi
    Moves
    18 May '08 10:23
    Thats a historical problem.
    I think its from brahmagupta in the 7th century
  3. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 May '08 13:50
    OK, let's see how fast you solve this one.

When I put my apples in 2 piles of the same number of apples in each pile, I got 1 apple left.
    When I put my apples in 3 piles of the same number of apples in each pile, I got 2 apples left.
    When I put my apples in 4 piles of the same number of apples in each pile, I got 3 apples left.
    When I put my apples in 5 piles of the same number of apples in each pile, I got 4 apples left.
    When I put my apples in 6 piles of the same number of apples in each pile, I got 5 apples left.
    When I put my apples in 7 piles of the same number of apples in each pile, I got 6 apples left.
    When I put my apples in 8 piles of the same number of apples in each pile, I got 7 apples left.
    When I put my apples in 9 piles of the same number of apples in each pile, I got 8 apples left.
    When I put my apples in 10 piles of the same number of apples in each pile, I got 9 apples left.

How many apples did I bring to the market?

Find the minimal solution as quickly as you can.
  4. In Christ
    Moves
    18 May '08 17:292 edits
    7x8x9x10 - 1

Wait no!

5x7x8x9 - 1

5. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 May '08 18:09
    Originally posted by Jirakon
    7x8x9x10 - 1

Wait no!

5x7x8x9 - 1

Of course🙂
  6. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    19 May '08 15:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When I sell my apples in the market I am very much into symmetry. I always put them in piles of the same amount in order to show them nicely.

So today I put them in 3 piles of the same number of apples in each pile. But I got one apple left.
    I tried 5 piles, but the same happened, one apple too many to be able to divide them evenly.
    I tried 7 piles, ...[text shortened]... same number of apples in them. No apple too many.

How many apples did I bring to the market?
    If you had counted the apples before you left your house you wouldn't have to ask such a silly question.

Granny.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree