Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Joined
    27 Apr '11
    Moves
    0
    27 Apr '11 21:01
    I need help with an enigma. It perplexes and vexes me.
    The puzzle is as follows:

    Set up the board as it was 2 moves ago.
    Board: Black king A8, white king c8, white bishop g1, white pawn h2

    Hints: Black must have captured a piece last move
    White must of used a discovered check
    Can anyone help? I am at my knees!
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    27 Apr '11 22:59
    Originally posted by Ares64
    I need help with an enigma. It perplexes and vexes me.
    The puzzle is as follows:

    Set up the board as it was 2 moves ago.
    Board: Black king A8, white king c8, white bishop g1, white pawn h2

    Hints: Black must have captured a piece last move
    White must of used a discovered check
    Can anyone help? I am at my knees!
    You have not started any games on RHP, but nonetheless, if this is an active game of yours, there should be no comment.
  3. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    28 Apr '11 00:08
    Originally posted by JS357
    You have not started any games on RHP, but nonetheless, if this is an active game of yours, there should be no comment.
    Still a non-starter so it must be a puzzle.
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    26502
    28 Apr '11 19:521 edit
    Originally posted by Ares64
    I need help with an enigma. It perplexes and vexes me.
    The puzzle is as follows:

    Set up the board as it was 2 moves ago.
    Board: Black king A8, white king c8, white bishop g1, white pawn h2

    Hints: Black must have captured a piece last move
    White must of used a discovered check
    Can anyone help? I am at my knees!
    Black king A8, white king c8, white bishop g1, white pawn h2

    i.e. like this ?



    I don't see how you work out what was captured...
  5. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    28 Apr '11 21:08
    is this as it was two moves ago?
    or as it is now?
  6. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    28 Apr '11 21:10
    Originally posted by JS357
    You have not started any games on RHP, but nonetheless, if this is an active game of yours, there should be no comment.
    and i dont think games require you to think back two moves...😀
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7481
    29 Apr '11 12:22
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Black king A8, white king c8, white bishop g1, white pawn h2

    i.e. like this ?

    [fen]k1K5/8/8/8/8/8/7P/6b1[/fen]

    I don't see how you work out what was captured...
    White bishop on g1, not black. Like this:



    And I presume the OP means two plys, i.e. two half-moves, or one move for each player; otherwise the puzzle is unsolvable.

    Richard
  8. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    26502
    29 Apr '11 16:281 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    White bishop on g1, not black. Like this:

    [fen]k1K5/8/8/8/8/8/7P/6B1[/fen]

    And I presume the OP means two plys, i.e. two half-moves, or one move for each player; otherwise the puzzle is unsolvable.

    Richard
    Ah, ok, so did it start like this:?

  9. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    26502
    29 Apr '11 19:58
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Ah, ok, so did it start like this:?

    [fen]2K5/k7/1N6/8/8/8/7P/6B1[/fen]
    or like this perhaps?

    [/b]
  10. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    30 Apr '11 12:45
    but i thought it was blacks turn first?
  11. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    26502
    30 Apr '11 19:38
    Black captured a piece last move, so the move before the last one it must have been white's move...
  12. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    01 May '11 12:59
    ah...
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    02 May '11 20:481 edit
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    or like this perhaps?

    [fen]q1K5/k7/1N6/8/8/8/7P/6B1[/fen]
    but that's a rediculous move black would have made before white took the queen with the horse...why would black leave the queen in corner like that?? Seems dumb.
  14. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    5514
    02 May '11 21:01
    perhaps the white queen was there, threatening to take the black queen next move, or perhaps this is just a puzzle
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    02 May '11 21:59
    Originally posted by uzless
    but that's a rediculous move black would have made before white took the queen with the horse...why would black leave the queen in corner like that?? Seems dumb.
    This is a retrograde analysis problem, not a chess game with white competing against black. Retros aren't concerned with whether moves are good or bad, but only their legality.
Back to Top