Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. Joined
    17 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 21:01
    Does space (nothingness) exist?

things can move through it so it must, but it consists of nothingness, so can it exist?
  2. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 00:44
    Originally posted by bjpcomet

things can move through it so it must, but it consists of nothingness, so can it exist?
    hmm, space definitely exists, because it is something, nothingness, which is something different, well given that you can define it as the absence of something, then does that mean it is something? Which seems contradictory... but the question was can it exist. I would say gut feeling, yes, there is such a thing as nothingness, therefore it does exist. But that's just me.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 06:53
    Does a coordinate system exist without a graph in it?

Even if you look inte the perfect vacuum with 'microscope' at quant level, you'll see a lot of things and activity. Particles spontanous being born and disappear after a picosecond. Energy level rise and set. And a lot of things. There is a lot of energy, vacuum energy, that just sit there ready to be tapped by any technological civilisation advanced enough 8which we are not yet9.

So space with vaccum is not empty, it exists alright.
  4. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 11:44
    Even if you want to assume the perfect vacuum with absolute nothingness, it will exist. Escher used to make a nice example where the white objects would only exist with the black objects. You needed both in order to see either. Therefore complete vacuum still exists, because without it we wouldn't have non-vacuum and vice versa.
  5. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 11:55
    Have looked between my ears. Plenty of nothingness there.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 17:02
    Perhaps before the BigBang 'nothingness' existed? Not even a vaccuum existed, no matter, no energy ... space did not exist, no Time either.

But then of course 'before the BigBang' is pretty meaningless! 🙁
  7. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 18:15

If you had a little bit of nothing, truly nothing there at all, you would know that the energy in that space equals exactly zero. And Quantum Mechanics hates that.
  8. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 22:03
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    If you had a little bit of nothing, truly nothing there at all, you would know that the energy in that space equals exactly zero. And Quantum Mechanics hates that.
    Yeah, but Quantum Mechanics gets mad at the littlest things!
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 00:13
    if there were no chessboard and no pieces, would chess cease to exist?
  10. Joined
    14 Sep '07
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 00:49
    as my understanding i don't think so, i read a book with a man in prison, he was playing without piece and board...
  11. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    30 Sep '07 01:17
    Originally posted by alliance007
    as my understanding i don't think so, i read a book with a man in prison, he was playing without piece and board...
    But he did have room and bored, but definitely no peace.
  12. Joined
    13 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '07 02:21

Outer space exists only because it's afraid to be on the same planet as Chuck Norris