I was thinking.....

I was thinking.....

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b

Moves
28 Sep 07

Does space (nothingness) exist?

things can move through it so it must, but it consists of nothingness, so can it exist?

a
AGW Hitman

http://xkcd.com/386/

Moves
29 Sep 07

Originally posted by bjpcomet

things can move through it so it must, but it consists of nothingness, so can it exist?
hmm, space definitely exists, because it is something, nothingness, which is something different, well given that you can define it as the absence of something, then does that mean it is something? Which seems contradictory... but the question was can it exist. I would say gut feeling, yes, there is such a thing as nothingness, therefore it does exist. But that's just me.

F

Moves
29 Sep 07

Does a coordinate system exist without a graph in it?

Even if you look inte the perfect vacuum with 'microscope' at quant level, you'll see a lot of things and activity. Particles spontanous being born and disappear after a picosecond. Energy level rise and set. And a lot of things. There is a lot of energy, vacuum energy, that just sit there ready to be tapped by any technological civilisation advanced enough 8which we are not yet9.

So space with vaccum is not empty, it exists alright.

G

B is for bye bye

Moves
29 Sep 07

Even if you want to assume the perfect vacuum with absolute nothingness, it will exist. Escher used to make a nice example where the white objects would only exist with the black objects. You needed both in order to see either. Therefore complete vacuum still exists, because without it we wouldn't have non-vacuum and vice versa.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
29 Sep 07

Have looked between my ears. Plenty of nothingness there.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
29 Sep 07

Perhaps before the BigBang 'nothingness' existed? Not even a vaccuum existed, no matter, no energy ... space did not exist, no Time either.

But then of course 'before the BigBang' is pretty meaningless! 🙁

DR

Moves
29 Sep 07

If you had a little bit of nothing, truly nothing there at all, you would know that the energy in that space equals exactly zero. And Quantum Mechanics hates that.

G

B is for bye bye

Moves
29 Sep 07

Originally posted by Doctor Rat
If you had a little bit of nothing, truly nothing there at all, you would know that the energy in that space equals exactly zero. And Quantum Mechanics hates that.
Yeah, but Quantum Mechanics gets mad at the littlest things!

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
30 Sep 07

if there were no chessboard and no pieces, would chess cease to exist?

a

Moves
30 Sep 07

as my understanding i don't think so, i read a book with a man in prison, he was playing without piece and board...

G

B is for bye bye

Moves
30 Sep 07

Originally posted by alliance007
as my understanding i don't think so, i read a book with a man in prison, he was playing without piece and board...
But he did have room and bored, but definitely no peace.

A

Moves
01 Oct 07

Outer space exists only because it's afraid to be on the same planet as Chuck Norris